The course is 5000m (5K) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. It's run in Locke Park, Barnsley and run entirely on tarmac paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Barnsley parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please make sure you’re fit enough to run 5k (3.1 miles). Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website.
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- While rare, Lyme Disease is present in areas where deer live, and occasionally passed to human's through infected ticks. See NHS Choices website for more about Lyme Disease, and how to deal with ticks.
- This is a free training event, so all run and attend at their own risk.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Barnsley parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see the Running For Fitness
View Barnsley parkrun
in a larger map
The course consists of just a little over three complete laps around the park in an anticlockwise direction.
Location Of Start
Locke Park, Barnsley. the start is close to the Locke Park Cafe.
Getting There by Public Transport
For further information on Bus Times from within South Yorkshire to Locke Park, Call Traveline on 01709 515151 or visit their website at www.travelsouthyorkshire.com
Service Number 7
This is the Barnsley to Blacker Hill service, it runs every other hour from Barnsley Interchange. Journey time is around 8 mins, alight at Kingstone, St Edward Church, stop after the Longcar Inn for a 2 min walk to the Park. Provider is T M Travel.
Service Number 20 (Low Floor), 20A & 21
These services head to the West of Barnsley (Penistone, Holmfirth) and are pretty frequent even on Sunday and Bank Holiday. Journey time is about 6 mins, alight at The Bush Public House, the stop just after St Edward Church for a 2 min walk to the Park. Provider is Stagecoach.
Service Number (44 Low Floor)
This service is a circular and passes near the Park (Bush Inn) though the 43 also does but takes 15 minutes, where the 44 takes 5. Alight at The Bush Public House, the stop just after St Edward Church for a 2 min walk to the Park. Provider is Stagecoach
Getting There on Foot
Getting There by Road
Coming from North M1 Leeds
Exit M1 Jct.37, 1st exit left off roundabout A628 towards Barnsley and get in right hand lane, after approx. half mile turn right at traffic lights onto A6133. Continue until road becomes dual carriageway and get in right and lane. At second set of traffic lights turn right signposted Locke Park (beware oncoming traffic have right of way not a filter light). Car park is half mile on Left , start is at Park Café a 5 minute walk.
Coming from South M1 Sheffield
Exit M1 Jct. 37, 3rd exit right off roundabout A628 towards Barnsley and get in right hand lane, after approx. half mile turn right at traffic lights onto A6133. Continue until road becomes dual carriageway and get in right and lane. At second set of traffic lights turn right signposted Locke Park (beware oncoming traffic have right of way not a filter light). Car park is half mile on Left , start is at Park Café a 5 minute walk.
Coming from Doncaster
A635 into Barnsley and fork left onto A6133 pass park is on lefthand side of road and turn left at traffic lights signposted, car park on left
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee at Locke Park Cafe, right on the finish line - please come and join us.