The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at ‘Free Fields’, North Road / Claverton Down Road (opposite Shaft Road), Bath. The course is run on a mixture of gravel and stone paths, compacted earth paths and grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Bath Skyline parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- We regret that, due to the woodland steps on the first loop, this course is not suitable for wheelchairs or runners with buggies.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Bath Skyline parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
View Bath Skyline parkrun in a larger map
The run starts and finishes in ‘Free Fields’ approximately 100 metres from the North Road / Claverton Down Road entrance (opposite Shaft Road). The 5k course consists of a short clockwise loop of Klondyke Copse followed by a long anti-clockwise loop of Little Klondyke Copse.
On leaving the start area you turn left to begin the first loop which is run on a mixture of gravel, stone and grass paths. This is largely flat but contains a short downhill section (which can be slippery in rain) and an uphill flight of approximately 30 woodland steps (which some runners will find demanding).
As you approach the start/finish area at the end of the first loop you turn left into Fairy Wood to begin the second loop. This is flat and largely on gravel or stone paths, with two short sections on grass (where you should observe the public right of way). On completing the second loop you turn right to the finish area in ‘Free Fields’.
We regret that, due to the woodland steps on the first loop, this course is not suitable for wheelchairs or runners with buggies.
Toilet facilities are available in the BMI Bath Clinic main building and the summerhouse.
There is limited free parking in the BMI Bath Clinic Visitors Car Park
Location of start
The run starts in ‘Free Fields’ approximately 100m from the site entrance on North Road / Claverton Down Road (opposite Shaft Road).
Getting there by public transportBus:
Take Bus #2 from the Bus Station on Dorchester Street to The Hadley Arms at The Avenue in Combe Down. From there the site entrance is about a 6 minute walk east along North Road.
The nearest train station is Bath Spa. From there take Bus #1 from the adjoining Bus Station.
Getting there on foot
The site entrance can be accessed from North Road / Claverton Down Road (opposite Shaft Road), or via the cycle path from Quarry Farm off Widcombe Hill / Claverton Down Road (close to Bath University).
Getting there by road
If using SATNAV, the nearest postcode is BA2 7BR
Limited free parking is available at the BMI Bath Clinic. Please use the Visitors Parking area on the left as you enter.
From the M4 motorway:
Exit at J18 and take A46 towards Bath. At the A46/A4 junction, follow signs for A4 West towards Bath. After 1 mile, turn left at traffic lights onto A36 towards the City Centre. Follow A36 signs to Bristol and turn left at the first roundabout onto Bathwick Hill. Continue onto Claverton Down Road passing Bath University on your left. Bear right at a mini roundabout - continue past Ralph Allen School on the left and the BMI Bath Clinic is immediately after on the right.
From the city centre:
Follow the instructions above from Bathwick Hill.
Take the A4 and follow the instructions above from the A46/A4 junction.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in the Summer pavilion in the grounds of the BMI clinic. The pavilion is there for us to use but you'll need to bring your own refreshments! - please come and join us!