The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is in Bedford Park, Park Avenue, Bedford and run on flat tarmac paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Bedford parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- While rare, Lyme Disease is present in areas where deer live, and occasionally passed to humans through infected ticks. See NHS Choices website for more about Lyme Disease, and how to deal with ticks.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Bedford parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see the Running For Fitness
View Bedford parkrun
in a larger map
The Bedford parkrun course has Green Flag Status. It is a flat and fast course which consists of an even and hard surface loop throughout the 5k route. The 5k course is 2.5 laps of this beautiful park and is suitable for all abilities including wheelchair racers and buggy runners.
Location of start
We start by the pond
Getting there by public transport
If arriving by train or bus you the park is easily accessible on foot by following the directions below. There is also a taxi rank at both the bus station and the train station. Service bus 10 arrives at both the main bus station and train station and currently goes to Roff Avenue and beyond
Getting there on footFrom Bedford town Centre
: the park is approximately half a mile from the High Street. Walk north up the High Street. At the pedestrian crossing, cross over the A428 and proceed straight ahead walking up The Broadway. At the bend in the path take the path to your right which follows the road De Parys Avenue. Walk all the way up this road and the park is directly in front at the end of the road.From the Bus Station at Greyfriars
: the park is one mile from the main bus station. Walk up Greyfriars (past the Police Station on your left), this is also the A6 road. At the pedestrian crossing cross over the junction (A428) onto Union Street (A6). Continue walking straight ahead. At the roundabout go straight on onto Roff Avenue. Cross over the roundabout onto Park Avenue and the park will be on your right.From the Railway Station
: the park is one mile from Bedford Train Station. Walk up Asburnham Roan to Bromham Road (A428). Turn right and proceed down Bromham Road. At the pedestrian crossing, cross over the road onto Union Street (A6). Continue walking straight ahead. At the roundabout go straight on onto Roff Avenue. Cross over the roundabout onto Park Avenue and the park will be on your right.
Getting there by road
By car, the park is located 1.2 miles from the town centre. The park can be found just off the A428 (east or west bound). Turn into Union Street which is also the A6. At the roundabout go straight over onto Roff Avenue. For parking in the car park turn left at the next roundabout into Foster Hill Road and then left into the car park. For parking on the street go straight over the roundabout onto Park Avenue. If using a Sat Nav, please enter MK41 7SS Free parking is available along Park Avenue and in the car park next to Robinson Pool in Foster Hill Road.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in The Pavilion - please come and join us.