The course is 5000m (5K) long. It's run in Parc Bryn Bach run on tarmac, although some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Bryn Bach parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- While rare, Lyme Disease is present in areas where deer live, and occasionally passed to humans through infected ticks. See NHS Choices website for more about Lyme Disease, and how to deal with ticks.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Bryn Bach parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see the Running For Fitness
View Bryn Bach parkrun in a larger map
Two laps of a fast, scenic, traffic-free course. The course uses a tarmac path that loops the lake, You run the loop in a clockwise direction (water on your right hand side).
There is ample free car parking on site. The visitor centre located at the finish has toilets and showers.
Location of start
The start is on the far side of the lake - opposite the main car park, visitor centre and café. Please give yourself enough time to walk around the lake to the start.
Getting there by public transport
Train: The two main train routes are Cardiff Central to Rhymney or Cardiff Central to Ebbw Vale. Bus: From Rhymney it is a short bus trip to Tredegar on the number 20 bus or from Ebbw Vale take the number E11 bus.
Getting there on foot
From Tredegar town to the parc is approximately two miles. If coming by bike you can follow the cycle rout 46 from Brynmawr or from Rhymney follow the 467 route.
Getting there by road
Parc Bryn Bach is situated just off the A465 Heads of the Valleys Road. Visitors should follow signs to Tredegar and once you're off the A465 follow the tourist signs to Parc Bryn Bach. For sat nav use, the postcode is NP22 3AY
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee at the cafe in Parc Bryn Bach - please come and join us.