The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is along The Taff trail, within Bute park and run entirely on tarmac footpaths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Cardiff parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Cardiff parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
View Cardiff parkrun
in a larger map
The route consists of an out and back along the River Taff, within Bute park. Please keep to the right at all times.
Location of start
The Start/Finish area is on the Taff Trail along side the Tesco building.
Getting there by public transport
There are choices of routes that will take you within easy reach of the event. The Bay Circle 1 or 2, or alternatively U1 or U2. The nearest bus stops are UWIC or Tesco extra ? both on Western Avenue (A48). Walk along Western Ave to the River Taff and then down the steps on to the Taff Trail, the Start/Finish area is on the Taff Trail along side the Tesco building.
Getting there on foot
From the City Centre/Cardiff Castle walk through Bute Park heading North along the Taff Trail ? following the River Taff. The Start/Finish area is on the Taff Trail along side the Tesco building (before you reach western Ave ? A48). From Western Ave (A48) - Walk along Western Ave to the River Taff and then down the steps on to the Taff Trail, the Start/Finish area is on the Taff Trail along side the Tesco building
Getting there by road
You need to aim for Western Ave (A48), the section between the Gabalfa Flyover (A470) and Llandaff Cross (A4119) (Western Ave and Cardiff Road) you have a choice of 3 Car parks (please check for any parking restrictions or charges):
- Llandaff Rugby Club (postcode CF5 2AZ)
- UWIC (postcode CF5 2YB)
- Tesco Extra (postcode CF14 3AT)
Llandaff RC and UWIC are approx 500m walk from Start/Finish, whereas Tesco is adjacent to the Start/Finish ? but you will have to walk through the Car park onto Western Ave. From all Car parks walk along Western Ave to the River Taff and then down the steps on to the Taff Trail, the Start/Finish area is on the Taff Trail along side the Tesco building.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee at Tesco Extra - please come and join us.