The course is 5000m (5K) long. It's run in Colwick Country Park and run on a mixture of concrete paths and grassed areas. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Colwick parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- While rare, Lyme Disease is present in areas where deer live, and occasionally passed to humans through infected ticks. See NHS Choices website for more about Lyme Disease, and how to deal with ticks.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Colwick parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see the Running For Fitness
View Colwick parkrun
in a larger map
The parkrun course at Colwick Country Park is 5km long and is made up of 1 lap of the main lake and 2 laps of the smaller West lake. The route is mainly on informally surfaced paths combined with short road and grass sections. The run starts alongside the Colwick Adventure Centre and the west lake and follows the main path clockwise around the smaller west lake. After approximately two thirds of a lap of the lake runners split off to the left through the woods to then complete a lap of the larger main lake. Following the lakeside path clockwise, runners will reach the main entrance and fishing lodge, proceed along the straight main drive and then continue clockwise on round the south shore of the lake and past the marina. On nearing the Adventure Centre again the route will split left and complete a further whole lap of the small lake before returning to the start.
- Parking: You can park in Colwick Country Park by the start/finish line for a fee of £1.50 with correct change payable on entry at an automatic barrier unless you are volunteering in which case you can park for free. Alternatively free on-street parking is available nearby. To access this turn off the A612 at the mini-roundabout and drive past the entrance to the Park and Ride and Colwick Racecourse, following the road round towards Colwick Hall. From here you are a short warm-up of 800m or so from the start/finish area. For Sat Nav users - the closest postcode is Colwick Hall - NG2 4BH.
- Toilets: Toilets are situated opposite the playground about 400 metres from the start line.
Location of start
The course starts at the Adventure Centre Car Park (also called the West Lake Car Park).
Getting there by public transport
Nottingham City Transport buses: Number 44 from stop Q3 on Queens Street (outside the Post Office). Park and Ride service: City link 2 from stop CL2 on Lower Parliament Street (outside Victoria Centre).
Getting there on foot
Colwick Country Park can be accessed either via a footpath leading from the Racecourse Road, or via Mile End Road, off Colwick Loop Road.
Getting there by road
Colwick Country Park is adjacent to Colwick Racecourse, two miles south-east of Nottingham City Centre. Access the park via River Road, located off Mile End Road, which in turn is off the Colwick Loop Road. For Sat Nav users - NG4 2EW. Once you are in the park follow signs for the Adventure Centre, and please observe the 10mph speed limit. If you intend to drive into the park you should aim to be parked up by 8.45am.
that you can only enter the park with your car by paying a fee of £1.50 with correct change at an automated barrier at the park entrance.
Post Run Coffee
Every week, we grab post parkrun refreshments at the Daleside Cafe which is located on the junction of Daleside Road and Trent Lane. For Sat Nav users - NG2 4DH. We have negotiated a discount for parkrunners on production of a parkrun barcode. Please do come and join us.