The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at Northfields Recreation Ground, Cwmbran. The course is run on a mixture of tarmac paths, grass and wood chippings . Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Cwmbran parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Unfortunately due to the out and back course and width of the paths we are unable to accommodate runners with dogs.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Cwmbran parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
The course starts near the Olive Tree on Edlogan Way and proceeds South along the river. After a turn to the right the course heads away from the river and into South Fields via the subway. The course goes back onto the path and does a lap of the boating lake before retracing the previous route back to the start. The whole route is flat and mainly run on tarmac paths.
Unfortunately due to the out and back course and width of the paths we are unable to accommodate runners with dogs.
Toilets are available at the Olive Tree and along the route at the Boating Lake. Llanyrafon Manor also has disabled facilities.
Free parking is available at the event. Alternative free parking is available at Morrisons (3 hour limit), Llanyrafon Manor and at Southfields off Llanyrafon Way
There’s a skate park located less than a mile from the start on the parkrun route (Southfields). A well equipped children’s play area is located near the Lake.
Location of startThe run starts near the Olive Tree on Edlogan Way.
Getting there by public transportCwmbran Railway Station is about 200m from the event start. Access via the railway bridge will bring parkrunners directly into the park.
Bus: the main Cwmbran Town Centre bus terminus is a short walk to the start (see Getting there on foot).
Getting there on footFrom the railway station take the platform 2 exit, turn right onto footpath and follow under road bridge to start.
From Cwmbran Town Centre head towards Morrisons and take Edlogan Way. Take the first turning right into the event car park.
Getting there by roadFrom Cwmbran town centre: from the roundabout nearest Morrisons supermarket, take the exit onto Edlogan Way with Morrisons on your right and the railway station on your left. Take the first turning right into the event car park.
From the south/M4: eastbound (i.e. from Cardiff direction) leave m/way at J26; westbound (i.e. from Severn Bridge direction) leave m/way at J25A. In both cases follow signs for Abergavenny (A4042) and leave dual carriageway at roundabout signed for Croesyceiliog (1st exit). Cross next roundabout and take next left. At next roundabout take 1st exit then next left into event car park.
From the north (Pontypool) leave A4042 at 3rd exit of Crematorium roundabout, cross 2 roundabouts then turn left into event car park.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in The Olive Tree & Goodies Fitness - please come and join us!