The course is 5000m (5K) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is on The Stray, Harrogate on approximately half grass, half tarmac paths.. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Harrogate parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please make sure you’re fit enough to run 5k (3.1 miles). Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website.
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- This is a free training event, so all run and attend at their own risk.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Harrogate parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see the Running For Fitness
View Harrogate parkrun in a larger map
The course consists of just a little over three complete laps around the park in an anticlockwise direction.
Location Of Start
The start is outside Wedderburn House on the section of the stray bordered by the A661 (Wetherby Road), the A6040 (Knaresborough Road), and Oatlands Drive.
Getting There by Public Transport
The Stray can be accessed from many bus routes, and there are numerous bus stops around the park; Christ Church on Knaresborough Road, Wedderburn by Willaston Crescent on Wetherby Road, and Slingsby Walk on Oatlands Drive.
Getting There on Foot
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. Harrogate parkrun is easily accessible from the town centre, situated on the Stray near the Empress roundabout on the opposite side of Knaresborough Road from Christ Church. It can equally be accessed by the cycle paths on Oatlands Drive, by the Slingsby Walk public footpath, and from Wetherby Road.
Getting There by Road
The Empress Roundabout intersects the A661 Wetherby Road, the A59, the A6040 Knaresborough Road and Skipton Road. Drivers should head for Oatlands Drive and A6040 Knaresborough Road with plenty of parking available around Park Parade, Coach Road, Christ Church and on Oatlands Drive itself. If parking on Oatlands Drive please do not mount the curb / park with your wheels on the grass; your compliance with this would be most appreciated. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee at Caffe Marconi, Princes Square - please come and join us.