The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is in Hazlehead Park, Aberdeen. The course is run entirely on trail paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Hazlehead parkrun, Aberdeen is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Hazlehead parkrun, Aberdeen is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
View Hazlehead parkrun in a larger map
The course is an out and back loop. The course starts from the path beside the old caravan park on Groats Road. The course runs up the back of Hazlehead Park and is entirely on loose gravel and mixed terrain paths. After 2.5K there will be a marshal at the top of the golf course. Turn around the natural island turn point then head back down the path that you ran up. Towards the bottom of the path a marshal will direct you to the left towards the finish areas. The finish area is located within the old caravan park.
There are male and female changing facilities located within Hazlehead Golf Club (AB15 8BD) that is located just 250 metres from the parkrun start line. There are however no safe keeping facilities within the changing area of the golf club. The nearest public toilets are located within Hazlehead Golf Club.
Location of start
The run starts from the path beside the old caravan park on Groats Road.
Getting there by public transport
First Bus number 11 runs past Groats Road. Alight near Hazlehead secondary school Swimming Pool then walk along Groats Road to the start of the run.
Getting there on foot
Follow the directions provided for car access. Hazlehead Park is 3.5 miles from the city centre.
Getting there by road
From Aberdeen City Centre head up Union Street then via Queens Road towards Hazlehead Park. Follow the signs for Hazlehead park. Turn left at the 1st roundabout into the park. Follow the speed bump road to the end near the old bus terminus. Please park to the left of the old bus terminus or in the marked car parks at Hazlehead Park. Do not park in the area near the start of the run.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in the upstairs lounge bar at Hazlehead Golf Club - please come and join us!