The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is in Victoria Park, Leicester. The course is run on a mixture of tarmac paths and trail paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Leicester Victoria parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Leicester Victoria parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
This is a 3 and a bit lap course starting and finishing on the main perimeter path in Victoria Park, between the University and the War Memorial.
From the start head towards the University and down the hill, before taking a left turn by the play area. Take another left turn and head back to the main path, where you then turn right. You are now on the first full lap. Turn right before the memorial and down the path towards Victoria Park Road, where you turn right across a short trail section and right again up the shared cycle path. Take a left turn at the crossroads and then right on to the main path. Head back up the hill towards the University and you will have completed your first lap. Repeat this for two more full laps before heading to the finish just after the memorial.
The main parking area is on the university site at central campus and the Danielle Brown sports centre, Wyggeston Drive, Gate 1 University Road, Leicester, LE1 7RH.
The parking can be accessed from University Road. Follow the one way system and take the first left and parking is available on the right hand side just prior to the Attenborough building. There may be occasions where University parking is unavailable, in which case it will be advertised on our event page. In those cases please use the marked bays around the park, or the Pay and Display car park on Granville Road.
Please meet on the main path close to the University, close to the parking area, before heading to the start line as a group.
There are toilets inside the park close to the tennis courts on the Granville Road side.
There are two children’s playgrounds within the park.
Location of start
The run starts on the main perimeter path in Victoria Park, between the University and the War Memorial.
Getting there by public transport
Take the Leicester to Oadby Grange number 31 bus via London Road. Get off opposite the Old Horse pub and the park is on the right hand side. See the Arriva Bus website
The nearest train station is on London Road which is 0.5 miles from Victoria parkrun Leicester. See the East Midlands Trains website
Getting there on foot
The event starts in the centre of the park and can be accessed from Granville road, Victoria Park Road (B568), London Road (A6), Regent road/ University Road.
Getting there by road
From Leicester city train station drive along the A6 towards Oadby for 0.5 miles, Victoria Park is on the right hand side opposite the Old Horse pub. If travelling from the county travel along the A6 towards the city.
The postcode for sat navs is LE1 7RH. This will lead you to the Danielle Brown sports centre car park, which is the main parking area for the run.
There is alternative parking around the outer edge of the park for one hour on London Road and Victoria Park Road, as well as a pay and display car park situated inside the park close to the tennis courts.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in the David Wilson Library, Leicester University campus which opens at 9am - please come and join us!