Have you seen our lovely new pacer bibs? Do you fancy having a go at pacing? Want to volunteer but not sacrifice a run? We have bibs for 20, 22, 24, 25, 26, 28, 30, 32, 34, 36 minutes as well as two blank pacer vests that you can add a different time to. This can be a fun and rewarding way to support others.
If you want to have a go, here are some tips from regular pacers:
1) pick a time that you can run comfortably, not one that is close to your fastest time;
2) have a go at running at your target pace before the pacing event;
3) try to pace fairly evenly, so that you don’t lose runners by going off too fast at the start, but make allowances for the uphill sections being a little slower
4) for 36 minutes or more pacing you might want to consider run/walk;
5) you can be chatty but don’t necessarily expect to get much response from those who are running their best pace;
6) keep an eye on your watch pace and remember that GPS watches can measure the course at 2.9 or 3 miles (it’s accurately measured but watch signals get interference from tree cover and don’t always follow your exact line around bends);
6) encourage those who are with you approaching the finish to give one final push as they sprint for the line.
If you want to give pacing a go let us know at email@example.com