Celebrating the real heroes of parkrun... the volunteers!
Every parkrun only happens because of the time and dedication of our volunteers. Many thanks to all of them, past and present. We are always looking for new volunteers. This page explains how to get involved.
How to get involved
Finding out about Mile End parkrun volunteering opportunities couldn't be easier. Simply open a recent parkrun newsletter, results email or volunteer email, click on 'manage my profile', then 'email options', then select the events you'd like to hear from and click 'save opt-in events list'. You will then receive regular emails from those events letting you know all about their volunteering opportunities.
You can see an event's future volunteer roster via their specific future roster page
. To get in touch with the event directly, just send an email to email@example.com
What would I do at the Event?
First, and most importantly, we never ask anybody to do anything they're not comfortable with. If you don't want a particular task, please let us know and we will happily give you an alternative job. Nevertheless, none of our tasks are too stressful. You could be organising the finish funnel, operating the timer, or scanning the runners' barcodes with our simple barcode readers; we try to start people out on a general marshalling type job, so they get a feel for how we operate. But if you really want to do something in particular, please let us know and we'll see what we can do.
Remember as a volunteer you are the eyes and ears of parkrun. If you have any concerns that arise at a parkrun event, whether involving children or adults, you should discuss those concerns with the Event Director on the day, as soon as possible thereafter or email Head Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Do I get my name in lights?
We like to recognise and publicly thank all our volunteers, and your name will appear on our home page in the This Week's Heroes section. We also keep a log of what tasks everybody has done. To do this you need to be registered on our system. If you have not registered, it's really easy to do so: just go to the parkrun registration page
and fill in the simple form.
Many thanks to this week's heroes
Anjulie FLAHAVAN • Ann O'SULLIVAN • Annie TRIHAN • Emma ELLWOOD • Hassan NOSHIB • Heather CLARKE • Heather HODGE • Jocelyn SUMMERS • Johnny FLAHAVAN • Mike O'CONNELL • Paul RHODES • Rebecca GOULT • Sarah MORRISON • Simon BONNER
The core team
Mile End parkrun happens largely because of our fantastic volunteers, who are almost all regular runners like you. The weekly team of volunteers are led by a small group of parkrun enthusiasts who form what we call the 'core team': They make sure the event is setup and packed away each week, the results published, the tokens resorted, event reports written and so much more.
- Carole Boyle - Carole, one of the Co-Event Directors, has been running in Mile End park since 2001 when she joined an evening class in marathon running. In 2003 she qualified as a coach and set up a women's running group: womensrunning@E14 who meet at the stadium at 6.30 on Mondays. She has run 5 London Marathons and finds running good stress relief from her job as a dentist.
- Claire Tuffin - Claire is the other Co-Event Director and enjoys organising our pacing events. She is also a member of womensrunning@E14 and her favourite distance is the half marathon. Loves Sunday morning group runs and, in particular, post-run brunch.
- Mary Burkett - Mary was part of the Mile End 'test' parkrun and has been hooked ever since. She loves to do some tourism but always enjoys coming home to Mile End. Mary started Mile End junior parkrun in 2014 and London Fields junior parkrun in 2017.
- Anjulie (Jules) Babbea & Johnny Flahavan - Husband and wife parkrun duo, part of the parkrun community for four years, both enjoy running, cycling and post-parkrun coffee!! Jules is working towards her first marathon and Johnny his second. Proud owners of '100 Club' t-shirts.
- Hass Noshib - Passionate about free running events and inclusive activities that improves the wellbeing of communities. Runs for GoodGym. Loves hiking up mountains. Favourite cake: Victoria sponge.
- Christopher Lomax - Christopher has been attending Mile End since 2013. He enjoys combining his running with travelling and has completed a number of events in different cities around Europe and the USA. His aim is to complete an A-Z of marathons where each marathon starts with a different letter of the alphabet. Ideas for a marathon beginning with 'X' would be much appreciated!
We're very grateful to the help provided by everybody, both now and in the past, who've helped make Mile End parkrun happen.
Please opt-in to the volunteer email if you'd like to join us and get involved!