Wow, that was a chilly, windy parkrun this morning! Well done to the hardcore 325 runners that looked out their windows today and thought “Now that is awesome parkrun weather!” and turned up.
Very special mention to the 23 runners who weren’t put off by the weather and ventured out for their very first parkrun! It is not always this cold at 9am don’t worry, we are usually quite lucky with parkrun weather. We also had 13 tourists today from other parkruns which is very impressive. Welcome to all of you, hope you had a great time, let us know how you got on with our course.
Somehow in that wind we also had 35 runners record new Personal Bests. Great running!
Representatives of 23 different athletics clubs took part.
This week we had the following runners hit their T shirt milestones:
Nathanael PIETREK on 10 (remember only the juniors get a T shirt for 10 runs, adults have to wait till 50 - harsh!)
Hazel COCKERILL hit the amazing 250 mark. That has been a long time coming Hazel, well done.
We have a picture of Jacqui with her balloon below:
Together with one of a smiling Hazel on her 250th run below:
Look out for the link in your profile that will allow you to order your T shirt from Wiggle. It does take a couple of weeks sometimes to show up depending upon T shirt availability so please be patient.
Massive thanks to this week's volunteers without whom we would simply not be able to stage the event:
Alison CARTWRIGHT • Ann WILLIAMS • Ben MULLAN • Carol DOWNS • Celia WALKER • Claire MARRAY • Danny BARTHAUD • Gavin LUCAS • Gill KIRKUP • Gillian SHEPPARD • Hayley BAYER • James STEWART • Julie MARTIN • Juliet THOMPSON • Kassia GARDNER • Katie WALL • Maree Blossom JESSON • Nathan RUTHERFORD • Neil Richard GOODRIDGE • Nicola HIERONS • Pete LINDSAY • Philippa FAIRHALL • Rachael SAVAGE • Sally PUDDEPHATT • Steph GRIFFIN • Stephen SCOTT • Tim MACKLEY • Tracy CARDNO • William SHIPPIN • William SNELL
Great support from the marshalls again all the way around again. Keep it up, it certainly makes a difference on your way around the course.
See our volunteer page for details on getting involved in making Milton Keynes parkrun happen.
The volunteer roster is now showing parkruns all the way out to include Boxing Day. Don’t forget we have parkruns both Christmas and Boxing day for those that fancy it. Remember to bring the family, mince pies etc and enjoy dressing up for a bit of fun. We will need some volunteers to help out though so please email in for those or any of the other days with how you can help.
Adam Downton was out grabbing unsuspecting runners for a few words:
After last week’s interview with Lee GB we tried to do the double and get Michelle this week. However she literally ran away from us saying "I am too shy".... twice.
Instead I interviewed Steph who was marshalling today's very cold canal corner of parkrun.
How was marshalling today?
Was very cold but glad to see many people still getting up to run.
When was your last parkrun?
Last March. I have a frozen shoulder and cannot run at all. I hope to get back to running in January which is my main running goal at the moment.
What animal would you be for parkrun?
Obviously a cheetah because then I could be very fast and overtake lots of people.
Favourite running weather?
Bit cold - not as cold as today - and a little bit drizzly.
What do you like most about MK parkrun?
I especially like the zigzag path because it's a challenge and MK parkrun has got a reputation from it.
I also really like the views and the pagoda. MK is a really special parkrun!
Everyone is always really friendly.
The Brownlee brothers (triathletes)
[ I agree, they're very inspiring.]
Have you been a parkrun tourist?
Yes, I have been to Oxford but MK is still my top parkrun.
Any hobbies outside of running?
I like to sew.
Thanks a lot Steph - hope you get back to running soon, that would be a great Christmas present I'm sure.
Great report, cheers Adam.
Now for some stats:
- Ben FAIRHALL (VM35-39) of Redway Runners, was first over the line in 16:50 - 11th time in 20 appearances.
- Gary BLABER (VM40-44) of Marshall Milton Keynes AC, was second over the line in 17:21 - was first to finish once before.
- Paul MIZON (SM20-24) of Redway Runners, was third over the line in 17:44.
Current standing in the Men's annual points competition:
- Andy SEALEY (Shenley Striders) 7612 pts.
- William SHIPPIN (Redway Runners) 7570 pts.
- Stuart SINCLAIR (Sweatshop Running Community) 7239 pts.
- Maree Blossom JESSON (VW40-44) (Unattached) was first (13th overall) over the line in 19:55 - 94th time in 127 appearances.
- Julie LOXLEY (VW50-54) of Redway Runners, was second (30th overall) over the line in 21:26 - has been first to finish on 25 previous occasions.
- Sarah BIRD (VW40-44) of Redway Runners, was third (48th overall) over the line in 22:32 - has been first to finish on 3 previous occasions.
Current standing in the Women's annual points competition:
- Lucy RICHARDS (Redway Runners) 7476 pts.
- Zoe BROAD (Unattached) 7265 pts.
- Julie LOXLEY (Redway Runners) 6923 pts.
The following runners recorded the best Age Grade scores:
- Gary BLABER (VM40-44) was graded 79.83% for the time 17:21 (second overall).
- Ben FAIRHALL (VM35-39) was graded 78.81% for the time 16:50 (first overall).
- Maree Blossom JESSON (VW40-44) was graded 78.41% for the time 19:55 (13th overall).
Milton Keynes parkrun started on 16th January 2010, and since then 10,169 different runners, including participants from 505 athletics clubs, have completed 89,186 runs covering a total distance of 445,930 km, and there have been 17,493 new Personal Bests.
The female record is held by Emily TALLEN who ran in a time of 00:17:04 on 2011-10-29 (event number 94).
The male record is held by Ian KIMPTON who ran in a time of 00:15:01 on 2013-07-27 (event number 182).
The Age Grade course record is held by Kirk CLIFFORD who recorded a 90.23% run (18:05) on 27th June 2015 (event number 279).
Today's full results and a complete event history can be found on the Milton Keynes parkrun Results Page.