Oakwell Hall parkrun Run Report – event #203
Saturday 1st September 2018
There are the obvious statistics generated at every parkrun event:
- First finisher: Gavin Chalmers in 17:36
- First female: Katrina Ballantyne in 21:16
- 313 finishers on a lovely, sunny, warm morning
- A full set of wonderful volunteers (whom we thank dearly)
- 39 new 'personal best' times
- 59 'first timers'.
There are some less obvious statistics, but available if you are willing to play for a bit:
- 173 finishers took over the average time for Oakwell Hall parkrun (just over 55% of the finishers) to cover the 5 km
- There were 38 finishers recorded as 'Unknown'
- 9 runners set the fastest times for their registered Clubs at Oakwell Hall
- 32 different Clubs had runners at Oakwell Hall today.
And then there are the unknowns:
- How many people benefitted by coming along as walkers, spectators, dog walkers, playground users, café visitors, fresh air samplers?
- How many were making parkrun part of a double of some sort? (such as tourism, a wedding weekend, birthday celebrations, on the way leg stretch to somewhere else eventually...)
- The conversion rate from Doubter to parkrunner.
I sincerely hope that every one of those 59 'first timers' and 38 'Unknowns' enjoyed their experience and found it supportive as well as challenging (because parkrun is). I can assure them all that you do not have to return many times before the 5km becomes a habit and you see and feel the benefits. We hope that all the 'Unknowns' either sign-on to become registered parkrunners or remember their barcodes! Then that all the first timers who did their first anywhere ever parkrun come back and do their second soon, and then their third...
parkrun is right; there is pride in the fact that the average time to complete the weekly 5km is getting higher, not lower – parkrun is becoming ever more inclusive as it continues to grow.
I really enjoyed my visit to the beautiful Oakwell Hall parkrun on Saturday (on my way to Piece Hall, Halifax. I shall sing its praises.
Well done everyone who was there and ran or marshalled or supported.
Oakwell Hall parkrun
Event number 203
1st September 2018
This week 313 people ran, jogged and walked the course, of whom 59 were first timers and 39 recorded new Personal Bests. Representatives of 32 different clubs took part.
The event was made possible by 35 volunteers:
Elizabeth Isabel INESON • Adam GALLAGHER • David TEGGART • Carole CLIFFORD • Max METCALFE • Natalie SAMPSON • Mira MILEUSNIC • Ian ROPER • Sue GRAY • Adam BROWN • Chris TOOTHILL • Thomas WILDE • Jason SAVILLE • Michelle SAVILLE • Stephen EAGLEN • Ann BOGUE • Philip BOGUE • Irén BODROG • Emma LOCKWOOD • Roberta MANN • Michael ELLIS • Steven CARTER • Jasmine KENNEDY • Sarah MARSHALL • Ebony DYSON • Harrison GRAY • Jason MILLS • Michelle CARTER • Georgia SPEIGHT • Holly RUKIN • Jayne BROADBENT • Hayley INGLE • Elaine JACKSON • Daisy KEYWORTH • Tim JAMES
Today's full results and a complete event history can be found on the Oakwell Hall parkrun Results Page.
The female record is held by Hannah OLDROYD who recorded a time of 19:10 on 18th July 2015 (event number 51).
The male record is held by Joe SAGAR who recorded a time of 17:10 on 16th January 2016 (event number 75).
The Age Grade course record is held by Treena JOHNSON who recorded 87.80% (20:21) on 6th May 2017 (event number 141).
Oakwell Hall parkrun started on 19th July 2014. Since then 6,331 participants have completed 38,276 parkruns covering a total distance of 191,380 km, including 8,043 new Personal Bests.