Raphael parkrun Report #109
Wow, what a scorcher! I think today was the hottest parkrun of the year to date, and it may have even been the hottest day of the year! Everyone must have thought let’s get out and enjoy the sun and the park early in the day, as the car park was full earlier than usual!
Today, we had 219 runners, with 15 first timers, of which 5 were tourists from Beckton, Harlow, Crystal Palace, Norwich and Newcastle. Welcome to you all and hope you enjoyed our park and community. With the park basking in glorious sunshine, it was always going to be tough conditions to achieve a PB, and it was no surprise to see the total number of PBs were down this week. Congratulations though to the 19 runners who did achieve a PB, including Clare Tanner, John Fitzpatrick, Kay Sandford and Kevin Ellis who all recorded back to back PBs in the last two weeks.
A special thank you to all our volunteers who made the event possible and cheered us all from beginning to end. Stephen WALSH • Anne DUGGAN • Sharon ROBINSON • Mark FOWLER • Tony HALL • Pippa-Anne RIDALL • Ian RIDGLEY • David O'BRIEN • Nicola COLES • Sharon SPRY • Eric KEHR • Margaret DOWSETT • Stephen SPRY • Jackie POWER • Jessica RIDALL • Phil STEER • Hazel WILSON • Doug ANDERSON • Annette CIPA • Awtar BOLINA • Joshua SPRY • Linzi DEANE
And while I am on the subject of volunteering, it is great to see so many runners volunteer for our next pacer event to be held on 22 July. We currently have full coverage for each minute between 21 and 32 minutes. If you want to join in and be a pacer, just e-mail or send a message via Facebook.
There were a number of milestones this week, with more runners joining the red t-shirt club!
- Danielle Whitton ran her 50th parkrun today, completing her 25th at Raphael Park. She has also run at Barking and Harrow Lodge and has 10 PBs to her name.
- Louisa Parsons completed her 50th parkrun, with 45 at Raphael Park, and others at Hartlepool and Valentines. She has volunteered on 5 occasions and has also completed two freedom parkruns at Raphael Park.
- Philip Freeman ran his 50th parkrun today, completing 33 runs at Raphael Park. He has run at 5 other parkruns and has an impressive 19 PBs.
- Vicky Blogg completed her 50th parkrun today, with 47 of those at Raphael Park. She has 8 PBs and has volunteered as a marshal too.
- Carl PARTIS (VM45-49) (Unattached) was first over the line in 17:44 - 12th time in 16 appearances.
- Robbie COOMAN (SM25-29) (Unattached) was second over the line in 17:52 - has been first to finish on 13 previous occasions.
- Robin MCNELIS (VM40-44) of Ilford AC, was third over the line in 18:18 - has been first to finish on 5 previous occasions.
- Morgan CAMPBELL (SW25-29) (Unattached) was first (13th overall) over the line in 20:13 - 7th time in 8 appearances.
- Louise MOZZANICA (VW45-49) of CSSC Sports & Leisure, was second (35th overall) over the line in 22:59 - has been first to finish on 7 previous occasions.
- Inga HAYDEN-COOPER (VW50-54) (Unattached) was third (44th overall) over the line in 23:35 - has been first to finish on 2 previous occasions.
The three highest age grades were recorded by:
- Carl PARTIS (VM45-49) – 81.86% for the time 17:44 (first overall).
- Robin MCNELIS (VM40-44) – 76.87% for the time 18:18 (third overall).
- Dan MEREDITH (VM40-44) – 76.52% for the time 18:23 (4th overall).
Did you know?
Raphael Park broke the 5,000 mark this weekend for the number of runs completed this year. We didn’t reach this milestone until the August Bank Holiday weekend last year. It just shows how far our Raphael Park community has grown. Well done everyone and let’s make it continue to go from strength to strength.
- Mark Fowler