And just like that Rogiet parkrun is one year old! We have moved from being a new ‘baby’ parkrun to a ‘toddler’ event, thankfully with no nappy changing and fewer sleepless nights but no shortage of fun and challenges!
Looking back it seems a lifetime since our first event as Rogiet parkrun following the move from the original Caldicot route as so much has happened, for example we’ve:
• Had almost 1,400 participants covering a total distance of 21,900 km, including 1,179 new PBs and seen our biggest attendance at 138 people.
• Moved from a 2 to a 3 lap course to protect the park (with the being measured, remeasured and measured again!).
• Celebrated milestones and had tourists visit from around the world.
• Got some new and much needed kit such as the storage container.
• Introduced pacer weeks to help people achieve PBs.
• Had a number of fancy dress events e.g. the NHS birthday event.
• Come together to raise over £750 towards our own defibrillator.*
Thanks again to all the runners, joggers and walkers who have made our lovely event what it is. To the regular volunteers who turn up in all weathers so other people can take part. To the RDs who give a lot of their time, not just on Saturdays but throughout the week, bringing new ideas for how we can improve. And to our Event Director through this year, Cath, who has worked tirelessly behind the scenes to get things done and it the mother of our parkrun.
After pre-event entertainment provided by most of the Rogiet RDs** (I obviously didn’t read the small print about what being an RD involved!) the first anniversary event saw 100 people take on our three lap course. 27 people recorded new personal bests including our little Rogiet regulars Rosa and Eva who took big chucks of their previous times and still had energy to pose for photos on the way around!. 13 people were first timers to Rogiet with 3 of these being new to parkrun – welcome to the parkrun family! We had visitors from Bristol, Austria and Holland. We hoped you all enjoyed it.
There was lots of cake to enjoy post event, including a lovely cake to celebrate Paula Siddell’s 50th event, 23 of which have been at Rogiet including at our first event. Well done Paula!
There were 23 hi-vis heroes that made the event happen. I particularly enjoyed being cheered on by a witch and a traditionally dressed Mexican at the top of the avenue. We are always looking for volunteers for future weeks so please do get in touch if you can help (fancy dress optional!)
Full results can be found here.
Some great photos from the 1st birthday event were taken by Molly and can be found on our flickr page
We look forward to you being part of our event through the toddler years and all the fun that will bring (although I am already wondering slightly nervously what the RDs will do for the second year anniversary!)
* Unfortunately the £200 match funding we were hoping to get towards the defibrillator has been delayed due to a family bereavement. In the meantime we are hoping to get the final bit of funding towards it through the Tesco Bags of Help scheme but there is still time to donate via the parkrun website.
** Two of our RDs couldn’t make it – one was unwell and the other badly hurt her ankle in a fall. Both fairly extreme ways to avoid being part of the entertainment. Seriously though, we hope they are back with us soon!
Heather (Rogiet RD)