The course is 5000m (5K) long. It's run in Platt Fields Park, Fallowfield entirely on good quality paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The South Manchester parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
We hope these tips help to ensure that South Manchester parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
View South Manchester parkrun
in a larger map
- Start alongside the railings of the children's playarea, the lake will be on your right hand side.
- Follow the path alongside the lake and take the sharp 2nd left.
- Follow the track straight, the track takes you along the permimeter of the park. This track can be very wet and puddles often form in wet weather, you must run straight through the middle of these puddles to avoid the drainage ditch that runs alongside the path. The path will eventually bear left and take you to the park entry road. Head straight over this entry road and along the path with a hedge on your left hand side.
- Turn left at the bollard at the end of the hedge and go down the path back towards the boathouse.
- Turn right at the childrens' play area, follow path behind the boathouse and bear right.
- Continue straight ahead and take a sharp left over a bridge.
- Wilmslow Road will be your right hand side turn a sharp left after the bridge.
- Continue straight ahead (fields will be on your right) then take a left back towards the lake and over a bridge.
- Turn right after the bridge towards the lake, with the lake on your left side, continue along the lake until you take second right over another bridge taking care to avoid the bollard.
- Turn right again and go straight ahead, when you see the fields again, this time on your left hand side, take the central path through the fields (NOT the tree lined path)
- Follow the path left and take a right at the top of the path towards Platt Hall and away from the church.
- Go past Platt Hall (on your left) and continue on the path which bears right, then straight back over the bridge and take a sharp right back towards the boathouse. (Please take care as this is a very sharp, blind turn)
- Continue past the back of the boathouse and take a left at the children's play area.
- Continue down the path, taking a right at the end after the bollard to follow the path then cross the entrance road.
- Follow the track around the perimeter of the park again and take the first right back towards the lake. At the lake turn right to the finish at the boathouse (the lake will be on your left.)
There is a WC located in the Lakeside centre at the entrance.
Location of start
The run starts alongside the railings of the children's playarea, the lake will be on your right hand side.
Getting there by public transport
Event team needs to provide
Getting there on foot
Event team needs to provide
Getting there by road
Event team needs to provide
Parking access via Mabfield Road, off Wilmslow Road
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee the Fallow Cafe - please come and join us.