The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is in Southwick Country Park, Trowbridge, Wiltshire and run on hard trail paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Southwick Country parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- While rare, Lyme Disease is present in areas where deer live, and occasionally passed to humans through infected ticks. See NHS Choices website for more about Lyme Disease, and how to deal with ticks.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Southwick Country parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see the Running For Fitness
View Southwick Country parkrun
in a larger map
The course is on a 1868 metre lap and participents will run almost three laps anti-clockwise, reaching the finish line on a fast downhill stretch near the tea room and the car park, making for some interesting finishes. See the map above for more.
Hope Nature Centre:
The café in Southwick Country Park, Squirrel's Tearoom, is run by the Hope Nature Centre who employ young adults with learning difficulties. They also have an animal farm and a shop. The full address is: Squirrels Tearoom, Southwick Country Park, Frome Road, Southwick, Nr Trowbridge, Wiltshire BA14 9QD.
It is important we respect the facilities provided by Hope Nature Centre who provide a very important service to our local community by employing young adults with learning difficulties. parkrunners PLEASE NOTE: the café facilities are for customers only, so please only use the café toilet and/or car park if you are making a purchase at the café.
Location of start
From the car park on the eastern edge of the course, enter the park and take the right fork and walk approximately 400 metres north west.
Getting there by public transport
Service 234 arrives in Southwick at 0818 from Frome, Beckington and Rode. From the other direction, the 234 arrives in Southwick at 0853 from Chippenham (0740), Melksham (0812) and Trowbridge (0834). Please check the timetables
before setting out on your journey.
From Westbury direction a service arrives in Trowbridge at 0822. From the Bath/Bradford on Avon direction, service arrives at 0828. Please check train times before setting out and be aware that Trowbridge Railway station is 1.8 miles from Southwick Country Park.
Getting there on foot
Getting there by road
Follow the signs to A361 Frome as you exit Trowbridge and descend the dip; Southwick country Park is at the bottom of the dip on your right.
Follow A36 toward Bath; when you arrive in Beckington take the A361 signed Trowbridge, pass through Rode then Southwick. As you exit Southwick the Country Park is at the bottom of the dip on your left.
Take the A350 North and from Chippenham/Melksham take the A350 South to a village called Yarnbrook. From Yarnbrook follow the signs to North Bradley. In North Bradley take a left at the Rising Sun roudabout, signed for Southwick. When you arrive at the raoudabout in Southwick turn right toward Trowbridge; as you exit Southwick the country park is on your left at the bottom of the dip.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee at the Squirrel's Tearoom cafe within Southwick Country Park - please come and join us.