Words and photos by Cecilia
I have been volunteering at parkrun now for over 6 months for my bronze and now silver Duke of Edinburgh, which I have thoroughly enjoyed for the duration of the time. I have loved trying and experiencing all of the different roles and positions at the event.
Even though it was extremely cold this Saturday luckily it didn’t rain, and at some points the sun even came out to show support for our runners. This week 817 people ran, jogged and walked the course, of whom 128 were first timers and 71 were running their first ever parkrun. 121 recorded new personal bests, and representatives of 36 different clubs took part.
By volunteering at parkrun I have learnt many new skills and overall I believe it has made me a more confident and responsible person and has really improved my teamwork skills. So far, one of my favorite roles has to be barcode scanning as it is a fundamental part of parkrun and you get to congratulate the runners on a fantastic achievement that I aspire to do one day - I have never actually run this parkrun but when I finish my volunteering I would love to. parkrun is a fantastic event that I look forward to every week, even though it does require an early start. It is the perfect combination between a sporting and social event, as it has given me the opportunity to meet new people and make new friends and I hope others are inspired to volunteer as parkrun only works with help from the volunteers.
This week 39 volunteers made the event possible:
Steve BOSLEY • Janice HARDMAN • Luke HARDMAN • Andrew SIMMS • Malcolm CAMMACK • Mark SHOTTON • Andrew THEEDOM • Matt SEMPLE • Alan WILKINSON • Sarah BROOMFIELD • Christopher PILBIN • Orla MCLARNON • Joanne HINSLEY • Rob WOODWARD • Richard BOGLE • Alex GEACH • Tom BAKER • George JACKSON • Cecilia BOGLE • Stuart HAMILTON • Holly HAMILTON • Sophie COLE • Victoria MARSHALL • David HEPWORTH • Richard ROSENBERG • Marian KELLY • Catherine LAW • Laura DE ROOY • Gillian DEANE • Dana ELFRING • Simon GALLACHER • Emily COOPER • Rosy ALEXANDER • Anna METCALFE • Francis ROSENBERG • Thomas WILLIAMSON • Carrie PEARCE • Saba NAYAB • Christina BURMAN
Joshua PEWTER (SM25-29) of Herne Hill Harriers was first over the line in 17:11
An unknown runner was second over the line.
Peter HART (SM25-29) of Southampton AC was third over the line in 17:30 in his first appearance at Tooting Common parkrun.
Lois BOND (SW25-29) of Windsor, Slough, Eton & Hounslow AC was first over the line in 19:12 in her first appearance at Tooting Common parkrun.
Johanna NICHOLSON (JW11-14) was second over the line in 20:04.
Sophie JOHNSON (SW20-24) of Guildford & Godalming AC was third over the line in 20:43. in her first appearance at Tooting Common parkrun.
Congratulations are definitely due to Stephen WEBB, who ran his 100th parkrun today, and to Aimee BYWATER-LUTMAN, Jo CLOKE, Ellie KENT and Liz LAURENCE, all of whom ran their 50th parkruns. In addition, Lottie GOWLAND and Alex GUEST both ran their 10th parkruns as juniors.
New PBs worthy of mention include the following:
- Our junior stars of the week were Omari MONTAGUE, Theodore ARVANITAKIS, Jacob DILLEY, Leo WYNNE-WILLIAMS and Esme FREEMAN, who all recorded new course bests today.
- It was a good day for the WIGGINS family, with both Brian and Louise crossing the line in new records of 26:00 and 28:34 respectively.
- Joe FITZGERALD, Anvar BADAKSHANOV and Richard FREEMAN smashed the 20, 25 and 30 minute barriers today with times of 19:34, 24:54 and 29:59 respectively.
- Sophie COLE made it a volunteer-PB double, helping with set-up and close down whilst setting a new best time of 28:42.
- Amy DILKS was obviously inspired by having her pink Ronhill jacket returned to her from last week as she knocked 49 seconds off last month's time to finish in 24:08. That might just be your lucky jacket now, Amy!