The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is in The Carrs Park, Wilmslow. The course is run on a mixture of tarmac paths, stone paths and grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Wilmslow parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Wilmslow parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
The start is at the Chancel Lane end of the park, near the playground. Runners will head along the path away from the play area, and head over the footbridge, turning right directly afterwards to start the first of two laps. Proceed for 1km along the path to the T-junction at the far end of the Carrs and then turn left up the hill for 100m before turning around at the gate and retracing the route back to the footbridge. At the footbridge, turn right up the hill for 50m, turn around at the cone and return to the footbridge where you turn left and run towards the far end on the Carrs to complete a 2nd lap. When you return to the footbridge on your second lap it is very important that you turn right and do the loop up the hill before running down the hill and over the bridge to the Chancel Lane end of the park to the finish (which is the same as the start).
Think of the course as a bathtub shape with the slopes at either end, and like a bath, one is steeper than the other!
Please note that photographing or filming is likely to take place at this event.
There are car parks at either end of the Carrs, however parking is limited. Further parking is available in the town centre and the surrounding area.
There are public toilets which cost 20p and this is in the Chancel Lane carpark, next to the play area.
There is a drinks Kiosk in the Chancel Lane carpark.
An AED (Automated External Defibrillator) is located on the side of the Kiosk at Chancel Lane (SK9 4AA).
Location of start
The run starts near the play area which can be access via the carpark on Chancel Lane next to the kiosk.
Postcode for the start is SK9 4AA.
Getting there by public transport
The start is under half a mile from Wilmslow Station. The 130, 88, and 378 buses all run nearby. See the Cheshire East Council website
for up to date information
Getting there on foot
From Wilmslow town centre (Grove St), walk down towards Waitrose on Church St and continue onto Chancel Lane. The entrance to the park is on the left.
Getting there by road
From the A34
Take the turn off at the main roundabout at the Ford showroom then head toward the smaller roundabout. Go over the smaller roundabout and take the 2nd exit onto Mill St, then turn right onto Church St / Chancel Lane. Travel down Chancel Lane for about 200m and the entrance to the Carrs Park is on the left. There is also a car park there (small charge), HOWEVER THE PLACES ARE LIMITED SO PLEASE USE PARKING IN THE TOWN AND THE SURROUNDING AREA AND WALK TO THE START.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in Nourish, 11 Bank Square, Wilmslow, SK9 1AN - please come and join us!