The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at West Witney Sports & Social Club, Witney, Oxfordshire. The course is run on a mixture of tarmac paths, woodland paths and grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Witney parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Witney parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
A clockwise 3 lap course (1 small lap, 2 big) starting on the south perimeter of West Witney Sports Ground. The small lap follows the perimeter of sports ground, exiting onto the Burford Road path then back into the sports ground round to the start. The big lap starts as the small lap but turns down the outside of the sports ground along Deer Park Road before entering the north end of Deer Park Wood, running all the way to Range Road before returning through the undulating woodland and back into the sports ground to start the second of two big laps.
Toilets are available at West Witney Sports & Social Club. Free parking is available in Windrush Industrial Estate.
Location of startThe event starts at the south perimeter of West Witney Sports Ground.
Getting there by public transportThe closest bus stop is just outside West Witney Sports & Social Ground serviced by Stagecoach 233 from Woodstock or Burford.
There is also a bus stop 1 mile walk away at the south end of Deer Park Road serviced by Stagecoach S1 from Oxford & S2 from Carterton or Oxford.
Getting there on footThe main entrance to West Witney Sports & Social Ground is off the Burford Road. From the car park go through the gate and follow the path next to the tennis courts before walking around the front of the social club building. There is also a small entrance off Deer Park Road.
Getting there by roadFrom the West: Turn off the A40 onto the B4047 and turn right into Windrush Industrial Estate and follow the signs for parkrun parking.
From the East: Take the second Witney exit off the A40 dual carriageway and follow signs towards Witney. Turn left at the traffic lit crossroads & go straight across the roundabout. Follow up Deer Park Road, straight through a set of traffic lights and then turn left at the second set of traffic lights onto the B4047. After passing the Witney Sports & Social Club turn left into Windrush Industrial Estate and follow the signs for parkrun parking.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in West Witney Sports & Social Club - please come and join us!