The course is 5000m (5K) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. It's run in Woodford Park, Woodley, East Reading on a mixture of grass, gravel and tarmac paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Woodley parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please make sure you’re fit enough to run 5k (3.1 miles). Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website.
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- While rare, Lyme Disease is present in areas where deer live, and occasionally passed to human’s through infected ticks. See NHS Choices website for more about Lyme Disease, and how to deal with ticks.
- This is a free training event, so all run and attend at their own risk.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Woodley parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see the Running For Fitness
View Woodley parkrun in a larger map
Woodley parkrun is a three lap, mainly clockwise route around the perimeter of the park. Starting from the top corner by the Oakwood Centre, cross the field diagonally to reach a small lake. From the lake you then follow the entire perimeter for 3 laps around the edges of the football pitches and back down to and along the other side of the small lake. The course will be marked with signs along the way. It then finishes with a small finish straight onto the grass after the Oakwood Centre.
Location Of Start
Start by the Oakwood Centre, Headley Road, Woodley RG5 4JZ.
Getting There by Public Transport
The park is serviced by number 13 & 14 buses from Reading Town Centre. They stop at Woodley Shopping Centre which is a 2 minute walk away. See timetables here
. Buses from Twyford can be found on the Thames Travel website
. The nearest train station is Earley
approx. 1.6 miles away
Getting There on Foot
On foot you can enter the park at the Oakwood Centre which is opposite the public car park next to Woodley Library and shopping centre. Alternative entrances can be found at Coronation Hall, Western Avenue & Godstowe Close.
Getting There by Road
If you are travelling by car the nearest public car park to the parkrun start is on Headley Road, Woodley. Postcode for satnav: RG5 4JA Directions from Woodley Town Councils website: The Oakwood Centre is situated south of the A4, between Reading to the West and Maidenhead to the East. From the West:
- M4 to Junc 10.
- Left onto the A329M.
- Proceed to A4 turning right.
- Approx 2 miles to the roundabout, turn left into Woodley (Pound Lane).
- Keep straight on along Butts Hill Road.
- At the "Just Tiles" roundabout, take the third exit onto Headley Road.
- Proceed for approx half a mile.
- The Oakwood Centre is situated on the right, opposite the pay and display car park. From the South:
- M3 to Junc 6.
- Left onto A33.
- Proceed to M4 Junction 11.
- Turn right to Junc 10, left onto A329M joining A4 - then follow the directions above. From the East:
- M4 to Junc 10
- Right onto A329M.
- Proceed to A4 turning right as above. From the North:
- M40 to Junc 4.
- Right onto A404.
- Join A4, turn right towards Reading for 71/2 mi.
- After dual carriageway, take left turn into Woodley along Pound Lane, keeping straight along Butts Hill Road as before.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee at the Park Cafe, Oakwood Centre - please come and join us.