Please do not attend parkrun if you display any COVID-19 symptoms
The course is 5000m (5k) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is in Plascrug Park, Aberystwyth. The course is run entirely on tarmac paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Aberystwyth parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us.
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take care of others around you and do your best to start at an appropriate place in the field for your pace.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Aberystwyth parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
The course begins with an out-and back on the wide middle path through Plascrug park, followed by 3 anticlockwise laps on the outer paths, then onto the middle path again for the finish.
Plascrug is tree-lined and shady in summer and relatively sheltered in winter.
- Toilets: Public toilets can be found en route to the park near the Ystwyth Retail Park (charge).
- Parking: We recommend parking at the Park and Ride car park on Boulevard St Brieuc (£1.90 all day).
- Showers: available at the Rugby Club where we meet up for a post-run coffee.
Location of startThe run starts inside the gates at the entrance to Plascrug Avenue, adjacent to the Rheidol Retail Park car park entrance.
Getting there by public transportThe bus station is located off the same mini-roundabout as Plascrug Avenue and Rheidol Retail Park. The railway station is adjacent to the bus station.
Getting there on footPlascrug Avenue is only a short walk away from Aberystwyth town centre, close to the bus and railway stations.
Getting there by roadFollow signs to the Park and Ride car park (£1.90 all day) on Boulevard St Brieuc.
From here, walk past Ystwyth Retail Park and the public toilets. At the roundabout turn right, then past the railway and bus stations to Plascrug Park. Alternatively, use the pedestrian bridge across the railway at the end of the car park (opposite the skate park near the Starling Cloud pub), turn left and walk down through the park, passed the finish where coats can be left on the bench, to the start near the park gates. (There are no toilets this way)