All parkrun events in this country are currently suspended due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). For further details please see here
The course is 5000m (5K) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is in the War Memorial park, Basingstoke and run on a mixture of grass, woodland and tarmac paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Basingstoke parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Basingstoke parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionFrom time to time the War Memorial Park is used for other events and Basingstoke parkrun moves to its alternative course at Crabtree Plantation which is just over a mile away to the east. Please check our news page, or on Facebook and Twitter, where we will give advance notice of when the alternative course is being used and how to get there.
The normal two lap Basingstoke parkrun course uses both grassed areas and tarmac paths. The route is well marked and there are marshals at key points.
The course starts on the eastern edge of the football pitch area of the War Memorial Park. It starts with a clockwise lap of the football pitch area. Then the route leaves the football pitch area by taking a left turn going up the short hill on the grass before going between the trees and turning right onto the tarmac path. Before you get to the subway steps turn right, cutting the corner, and head down the hill on the tarmac path through the trees. Go straight on at the bottom and then up the hill with the tennis courts on your right, this is affectionately known as Tennis Court Hill (TCH) and is renowned as a PB breaker. Once at the top, go briefly off the tarmac path to the right of the brick wall and re-join the path. Follow the path clockwise right round the edge of the park, past the bandstand, the aviary and the gate by the council offices. Follow the path round to the right and through the trees. As you emerge from the trees follow the path straight on, past the small car park on the left and round to the right of the Totally Tennis building. After you have passed the building, turn left onto the grass by the first tree on the right. Follow the markers around the football pitch area. Complete another lap of the course and the finish is to the north of the football pitch area between the two pitches.
Unfortunately there are no toilet facilities located at the War Memorial Park. The closest are in Basingstoke town centre.
Location of startThe postcode of the War Memorial Park is RG21 4AG.
Basingstoke parkrun starts near the football pitches on the east side of the War Memorial Park in Basingstoke. The meeting point and pre-run briefing takes place in the middle of this football pitch area.