The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course starts from Central Park, Chelmsford. The course is run on a mixture of tarmac paths and grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Chelmsford Central parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Chelmsford Central parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
View Chelmsford Central parkrun in a larger map
Chelmsford Central parkrun is a one-lap course taking you through 2 of the main parks in Chelmsford. Starting at the Pavilion in the heart of Central Park, you will follow established foot and cycle paths running by the river Chelmer, past the small lake and out to Admirals Park. The route will see you run along tree lined paths following the river - it really is an enjoyable run, pleasing on the eye and quite picturesque. Being so close to the centre of the City, there is even opportunity for some post-run shopping!
The course is run on a mixture of footpaths and cycle paths so please take care and be mindful of cyclists coming in both directions.
- Parking: The nearest car park is the Market multi-storey (CM1 1LU). There is also a free car park in Meteor Way, off Waterhouse Lane (CM1 2RY).
Location of start
The run starts at the Pavilion in Central park next to the lake and on the old bowling green.
Getting there by public transport
Central park is a three minute walk from the railway and bus station
Getting there on foot
Central park is in the centre of the city next to the main shopping areas and cricket ground. It has established cycle routes.
Getting there by road
Chelmsford has many public car parks with the closest being the Market Multi storey - CM1 1LU
A free car park is located in Meteor Way, off Waterhouse Lane - CM1 2RY. This is a two minute walk from the starting point in Central Park.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in the "Cake at the Lake" located right in Central Park by the lake of course! - please come and join us!