The course is 5000m (5k) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is in The Ridings, Chipping Sodbury. The course is run on a mixture of gravel paths, cinder paths and tarmac paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
Chipping Sodbury parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the event as safe as possible, so participants, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces – whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- Unfortunately dogs are not allowed at this event.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take care of others around you and do your best to start at an appropriate place in the field for your pace.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Chipping Sodbury parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionThe course is three clockwise laps of the playing fields, starting approximately 100m north of the main car park and finishing just before the car park entrance. It’s largely flat with a short downhill section at the southern end and a very gradual uphill section to complete the lap. There are three long chicanes to negotiate in the final 200m of each lap.
Unfortunately dogs are not allowed at this event.
The nearest public toilets are available on the High Street.
Location of startThe run starts approximately 100m north of the main car park.
Getting there by public transport
Bus: Firstbus service Y1 from Bristol Bus Station via Fishponds, Downend and Yate to Wickwar Road, Chipping Sodbury.
Train: Yate Station (then 3.2km to Wickwar Road, see directions on foot).
Getting there on footFrom Yate, take Station Road to Bowling Hill to High Street (Chipping Sodbury), turn left into Wickwar Road and continue for 500m.
Pedestrians and cyclists can also use the Frome Valley Walkway which crosses Wickwar Road approx 400m south of The Ridings.
Getting there by road
From north, east or south: take A46 Bath Road, turn west on A432 Badminton Road, at roundabout take B4060 Horse Street into High Street, then turn right into Wickwar Road.
From Bristol and west: take A4174 Bristol Ring Road or A432 Badminton Road to Wick Roundabout, exit north on A432 Badminton Road towards Yate, take left fork at double roundabout onto B4060 Station Road into Bowling Hill and High Street, then turn left into Wickwar Road. Once on Wickwar Road, The Ridings is approx 500m ahead on the right hand side.
PLEASE NOTE There is ample free parking on-site but please note that the car park gates will be closed from 0900 until approx 0935 and you will not be able to enter or leave by car during that time.