All parkrun events in this country are currently suspended due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). For further details please see here
The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at Ellon Academy Community Campus, Ellon. The course is run entirely on tarmac paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Ellon parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. Unfortunately due to narrow sections of the path the route is unsuitable for double-buggies. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Ellon parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Starting opposite Ellon Academy Community Campus, the course heads North over the footbridge then switches back under it heading West towards town. Follow the sweeping footpaths through the woods then follow the river all the way into Gordon Park. Complete one full lap clockwise around the very outside of the park then exit the way you came in and retrace your steps back to the start. A keep left system operates on the course.
Please show the utmost consideration to other path users, especially on the section from the road bridge to Gordon Park where the path is narrow.
Unfortunately due to narrow sections of the path the route is unsuitable for double-buggies.
There is free parking available at the Community Campus. Please use the bus park which has been made available to us. It is signposted and you will pass marshals on the way if you need to ask directions. Avoid the front car park if possible and do not park roadside. Public toilets are available just inside the Campus front entrance.
Location of startThe run starts opposite Ellon Academy Community Campus.
Getting there by public transportThe nearest bus stops are on the B9005/South Road at the end of the campus road (Kellie Pearl Way). The bus stops are marked for Ellon Academy and Ellon-Aberdeen services will stop there. It is approximately a quarter mile walk to the start. Alternatively Ellon-Peterhead/Fraserburgh services stop by the Ellon Meadows Sports Centre playing fields on the A920. From there it is around a half mile walk.
Getting there on footThe start is just under one mile from Ellon Market street roundabout. Head down to the river and follow the riverside path East for about three-quarters of a mile. Cross the river using the metal footbridge and head up the hill towards Ellon Academy Community Campus where you will see the start/finish area in front of you.
Getting there by roadIf using sat nav, the nearest postcode is AB41 8LF.
From Ellon Market Street roundabout: Head South across the bridge and leave Ellon heading towards the A90. Just before the national speed limits signs take a left at the sign for Ellon Academy Community Campus and head to the campus entrance.
From the A90 (North or South): If coming from the Aberdeen or Peterhead direction, leave the A90 at the roundabout onto the B9005 towards Ellon. When you hit the 40mph speed limit take a right at the signs for Ellon Academy Community Campus and head for the campus entrance.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in the Ellon Academy Community Campus Café - please come and join us!