The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at Frickley Country Park, South Elmsall. The course is run entirely on trail paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Frickley Country parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Frickley Country parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
The start and finish are located at the Frickley Athletic Football Club Pavilion. The course consists of mixed trail surfaces. The course is exclusively the Frickley Country Park site. The majority of the course (4K) is one lap, with an additional (1K) loop. The course is undulating, with a challenging hill section at 1K point, however the views from the top are worth the effort of the climb.
Ladies and Gentlemen’s toilets, including a disabled toilet are available within the Frickley Athletic Football Club Pavilion. First aid facilities are also available within the Pavilion building.
Location of start
The event starts at the Frickley Athletic Football Club Pavilion.
Getting there by public transport
Train: The nearest railway station is South Elmsall. It is a 10 minute walk to the parkrun start point (Frickley Athletic Football Club Pavilion).
Exit the station (from Leeds) up the steps/ramp turn left, downhill on the South Elmsall High Street, turn right at the traffic lights, then first left uphill onto Westfield Lane. Continue along Westfield Lane for 750 metres until Frickley Colliery Welfare Cricket Club, turn left onto an unmade road leading to the Frickley Athletic Football Club Pavilion and parkrun start point. (Signage to the Football Club on the right).
Exit the station (from Doncaster) ramp and go straight ahead 200yds towards the town, (bus station on the left.) Turn right at the traffic lights (signage for Frickley Athletic Football Club), then first left, after passing South Elmsall Post Office on the left, going onto Westfield Lane. Continue uphill onto Westfield Lane for 750 metres, until Frickley Colliery Welfare Cricket Club, turn left onto an unmade road leading to the Frickley Athletic Football Club Pavilion and start point.
Getting there on foot
Directions from the Bus Station: With the bus station behind you turn right, on reaching the traffic lights go straight ahead, passing South Elmsall Post Office on the left. Take the next left turn onto Westfield Lane, continue uphill along Westfield Lane for 750 metres until Frickley Colliery Welfare Cricket Club. Turn left onto an unmade road leading to the Frickley Athletic Football Club Pavilion and start point.
Getting there by road
Use Sat Nav code WF9 2EQ. This postcode is accurate to within 200 metres of the entrance (do not turn into Colliers Way - dead end, unless on foot). The entrance (unmade road) is 200 metres ahead between Frickley Colliery Welfare Cricket Club and Broad Lane Business Centre. The Frickley Athletic Football Club Pavilion is located off Westfield Lane South Elmsall Pontefract. There is signage at the entrance to the Football ground.
There is ample car parking available free of charge at the Frickley Athletic Football Stadium/Pavilion. There is additional free car parking around the site (Doncaster Road car park entrance and at Curlew View car park entrance) however they are approximately a 10 minute walk to the start/finish line.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in the Frickley Athletic Football Club Pavilion - please come and join us!