Wow - what a fabulous morning. The volunteer team arrived in good time to set up the course, and gradually parkrunners new and old made their way to Manor Park in good time for the start of parkrun number one. 9am finally arrived, and we were off.
157 parkrunners finished the 3 and a bit laps of the course, including 46 people making their parkrun debut which is really encouraging. Calum Hattersley was first over the line (ever!) in 18:03, while Jill Parker (Glossopdale Harriers) was first woman (ever!) in 20:04. Daniel Oates (Glossopdale Harriers) was first male junior (ever!) over the line in 26:17, and Caitlin Swan first female junior in 26:34.
A huge amount of thanks is due to everyone involved in the process of getting Glossop parkrun setup:
• over 100 people have devoted their time to various fundraising efforts over the past 12 months: parkrun heroes one and all;
• James Kemp, parkrun ambassador has been a huge help guiding the team through all issues parkrun, and more recently Sam Blacow who is taking over from James;
• Peak Active Sports, Global Therapies, Station House Dental Practice and Marple Polymers, as well as a number of anonymous personal donations that swelled the setup fund;
• Dukes Coffee Shop also deserves our thanks for supporting us through the setup process, and providing the location for the post-parkrun coffee, and where the team will be processing the results.
Thanks, specifically today, goes to:
• Helen Thornhill for baking a wonderful parkrun / Glossop lion cake for the inaugural run. Helen wasn't even here today, as she was running the Causeway Coastal Marathon on Saturday as part of her challenge for the Winnie Mambaso Foundation (http://www.winniemabaso.org/2015/06/01/the-5795-challenge/).
• Josh Hilton, a Volunteer Community First Responder, for providing first aid cover for the first event. Fortunately, we didn't need it this week, but his presence was much appreciated.
• All the volunteers who made the event possible.
On the volunteering front, if you would like to volunteer in the future, please remember to opt in to receiving the volunteer emails from Glossop. If you want to offer your help for the next few weeks you can email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org . The roster can be found here: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/glossop/futureroster/
And thanks too to all the parkrunners. You were all wonderful!!!