All parkrun events in this country are currently suspended due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). For further details please see here
The course is 5000m (5K) long. The start is at the top at the north end of Marine parade and finishes at the bottom. and runs on generally well paved surfaces.. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Gorleston Cliffs parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Gorleston Cliffs parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
The course is almost two laps along the top, middle and bottom of the scenic Gorleston Cliffs. The start area is at the North end at the top while the finish is below on the lower level. This means you only have to climb the Cliffs ONCE!
Shops include a Cafe where we can meet afterwards and other ones which send ice creams drinks etc.
Location of startThe start is at the top at the north end of Marine parade and is near the grass areas behind the hedge.
Getting there by public transport
Getting there on foot
Getting there by road
From Lowestoft, A12
Straight on at the lights at the entrance to the James Paget University Hospital, then RIGHT at the next set of lights into Bridge Road (sp Seafront). At the T-junction, turn left onto Marine parade and in about 200m (just after the "Ravine") park on the roadside.
From Beccles/Bungay, A143
Continue through Bradwell crossroads (lights) and in one mile at lights, take left fork towards Great Yarmouth. TAKE CARE as you join the A12. AT THE FIRST ROUNDABOUT take 4th exit (returning on A12). At the next roundabout (in ~1 mile) take the first exit, and then at the T-junction turn right. Follow the road round to the left an on to the Marine Parade. Parking available on the roadside.
From Norwich, A47
At the first roundabout, take the third exit onto the A12. Continue straight on at two further roundabouts. Then, at the next roundabout (in ~1 mile) take the first exit, and then at the T-junction turn right. Follow the road round to the left and onto Marine Parade. Parking available on the roadside.
Where ever you're coming from please park with consideration for local residents. Parking is available on the Cliff top roadside and near the shops at the lower level.
Directions to cliffs lower level
If you want to get to or park near to the finish:
BY FOOT take either steps or sloping footpaths from the start area down to the shops cafe etc.
BY CAR at the North end of Marine Parade turn left along Avondale Road. Turn right at the end and continue carefully for ~500m and after a pedestrian crossing, turn right into Englands Lane (Opposite Police Station). At the NARROW end take care and go straight on. Follow the road round to the right (near river) and right again in front of the Ocean Rooms. Parking is along to the left, round this corner and toward the shops/cafe area.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee at the Cafe among the lower level shops - please come and join us.