Please do not attend parkrun if you display any COVID-19 symptoms
The course is 5000m (5k) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is in Harlow Town Park, Harlow. The course is run on a mixture of grass, tarmac paths and trail paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Harlow parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take care of others around you and do your best to start at an appropriate place in the field for your pace.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Harlow parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionThis is a 2 full lap, with a third mini lap to finish undulating course, going anticlockwise around Harlow Town Park, starting close to the Greyhound Car Park on School Lane.
The course starts on a slight incline and bears right after approx. 150m, flattening out and stays on a wide cycle path. The course takes you along pretty cycle paths, where there is a very small out and back section , and across a disused pitch and putt field, crossing a slightly narrow metal bridge (Brooks Bridge) to complete one full lap before retracing your steps. At the end of your second full lap, you will retrace a small section of the first 2 laps but will be directed to turn left after approx. 200m, where you will follow a path at the top of the pitch and putt field, where you can enjoy the picturesque view. After crossing the 'Brooks Bridge' for the final time, you will turn right and enjoy a slightly downhill sprint to the finish.
Nearest public toilets are situated by Pets Corner, which is a 3 min walk away. From the car park, go past the Greyhound Public House along Park Lane to the opening of the park on the right. Enter the park and follow the path, turning left up the slope towards Pets Corner. The toilets are situated at the top of the slope and are open from 8am, although are subject to seasonal opening hours.
Car park: FREE for 2 hours (You must still display a valid ticket). At the pay & display machine, press the yellow button twice and then the green button. Alternative parking available at the multi storey car park by Harlow Town Train station (payable) (10 min walk away) and Queens Gate Centre on Howards Way (5-6 min walk away), although please avoid this where possible to allow shoppers to use the facilities.
Café: Spurriers House Café which is located within the Town Park, opposite the Bandstand - open from 9am.
Location of startThe event starts close to the Greyhound Car Park on School Lane.
Getting there by public transport
Bus: Numerous buses stop along First Avenue by Burnt Mill School, which is a 4-5 min walk away from the car park on School Lane. Please visit the Arriva Bus website to check current time tables.
Train: Harlow Town train station is a 10 min walk away. Cut through the car park next to the train station and come out on the main road by the Toby Carvery. Cross the road and enter the park via the entrance off the roundabout. Walk up past Spurriers Café & Pets Corner, follow the path to the left by the public toilets and then to the right, bringing you out on to Park Lane. Turn left towards the Greyhound Public House and the car park.
Do not make the mistake of getting off at Harlow Mill station unless you want an extra 2.5 mile walk to the start
Getting there on footYou can access the Town Park from all sides of Harlow along various cycle tracks and pathways. Please make your way to the Greyhound Public House car park (5 mins walk from the Bandstand / Pets Corner).
Getting there by roadIf you have a sat nav, enter postcode CM20 2QD which will bring you to the car park by the Greyhound Public House.
Harlow is jct 7 off the M11 and can also be accessed via the A10/A414 & B1383.
From the M11, take the Harlow turning and go straight through the lights, go straight across the roundabout and take the 1st exit off the next roundabout. At the 3rd roundabout, take the 1st exit and follow this road up (going straight across traffic lights and roundabouts). Once you see Burnt Mill School on your right, take the right hand turning straight after the traffic lights on to School Lane. Go to the bottom of school lane where you will see the car park.
(If the car park is full, return the way you came along School Lane. At the crossroad, go straight ahead, and then park in a safe, convenient place in the residential area. Please park respectfully of residents.)