All parkrun events in this country are currently suspended due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). For further details please see here
The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at Wilson Playing Fields, Clayton-le-Moors, Accrington. The course is run on a mixture of tarmac paths and trail paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Hyndburn parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Hyndburn parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
This is a 2 lap course, clockwise around the Wilsons and Woodlands area.
The course starts at the left of the Wilson playing fields, heading towards the back of the newly renovated Woodland area (back of the Wilsons Playing Fields), following the path round towards the top of the old Woodlands area. Continuing through down the path and looping back up a short hill and back through the area, heading back down towards the starting point.
Parking, disabled parking, toilets, football pitches (when not in use by local teams) and Café.
Location of startThe run starts at the left of the Wilson playing fields.
Getting there by public transportHyndburn Operates a frequent bus No6 or No7 from Accrington, Blackburn,Great Harwood and Rishton.
The nearest stop is Wilsons Playing Fields, with Sparth House being a short walk.
If arriving by train, you will need to use the Hyndburn Bus Service as above.
Getting there on footThe Wilsons Playing fields is a very short walk from the Wilsons Bus Stop, if arriving at Sparth House, you can access the Playing Fields via the Woodlands.
Getting there by roadFrom the M65 take Junction 7 and take the A6185 exit to Accrington/Clitheroe. At the roundabout take the first exit towards A6185. At the traffic lights take a left onto A680. After 900m take a right on to Clayton Hall Drive.
There is limited parking (around 40 spaces) therefore we encourage as many people as possible to car share or walk to the venue, as parking is very limited around the local housing estates and main road.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in a local café - please come and join us!