01/08/2020 Run Report
#VirtualRD Kenny Anderson
Thank you to our RD Kenny Anderson who led our #virtual #RD brief along with his lovely other half Nicola, who was doing the #virtual RD for the Market Harborough virtual #notaparkrun event. Today was a hot today to run so triple WELL DONE to all of you who got out there and completed 5k.
On this day in 1498, Christopher Columbus landed on Isla Santa (Venezuela) – clearly, this kind of travel was pre-covid. Venezuela is 4, 856 miles away from Kettering, so about 1, 566 parkruns away. In 1964, Dan ‘Big Daddy’ Garlits became the first drag racer to run the ¼ mile at over 200mph (201.34 mph at Island Dragway, New Jersey) Now, we say run, we assume in a drag car. But then again, who knows for sure… something to aim for as a next parkrun PB, perhaps?
Today is our virtual event number ten, so just for fun, here are 10 facts about the number 10:
- The Roman numeral for 10 is X, which looks like two V’s (the Roman numeral for five) put together
- Babies need 10 hours of sleep a day (if you were a squirrel you’d need 15)
- If you have 10 fingers you are decadactylous and if you have 10 teeth you are decemdentate
- Although the word ‘decimate’ is often used as a synonym for obliterate, the correct meaning of the this verb is ‘to reduce by a tenth’
- In the Bible, the number 10 is used 242 times
- There are 10 vowels in the Korean alphabet
- The traditional 10th anniversary gift is tin, while the modern gift for a 10th anniversary is diamonds – definite proof of inflation
- Pythagoras considered 10 to be the most sacred number, as 10 = 1+2+3+4, which represented existence (1), creation (2), life (3) and the four elements: earth, air, fire and water (4)
- In Roman times, punishment for cowardice or mutiny was applied by killing one in 10 men in a cohort
- Ten per cent of the world is left-handed.
Today, for the most part, was #scorchio- Garmin and Strava words of the day were ‘warm’ ‘sweaty’ and ‘mess’.
Shout outs to
Mark Smith who was paced to a virtual PB by Ollie, despite the heat. Well done Mark! Edwina Stanger, who, on her 3rd virtual #notaparkrun, has managed to knock more than an impressive 6 minutes off her time! Great running! Similarly, Mark Cotton joined us for his 3rd #notaparkrun and nearly took off 7 minutes from his original time- impressive! Terry Coleman took 6 seconds off his time so got a virtual PB. Alan and Trudi have been supporting some couch 2k5 runners and they all achieved their first #notaparkrun 5k run today – well done all! Sonya White cracked the sub30 5k – amazing running! Amazing running from Harlee Hooker, who got a virtual PB and to Keris who got that sub30 5k time that she’s been chasing down these last few weeks. GREAT stuff! Good work from the Miller family, who, accompanied by the Fordhams had a very challenging and scenic walk round Monsal Head this morning. Happy Yorkshire Day to our core team RD John McManus, who despite being nearly poisoned with gin last night by our wonderful ED Rob, ran but didn’t get a virtual PB. Try again next week John but enjoy your day today! Kevin #Imretired Moriarty scored a virtual PB today – we will NEVER bore of this! Keep up the GREAT work, sir! Amazing effort 2 from #TeamOdell today. Leanne and Scott both got virtual PBs, superbly paced (possibly!) by Zac on his bike.
Thank you everyone for joining in, despite the heat. It’s great that we can all come together, as a community and support each other during this time. We don’t know when parkrun will come back but until then, we have our virtual event! Same again next week – stay safe and well everyone.
Kettering #Virtual #notaparkrun
This week 73 people ran, jogged and walked a #Virtual #notaparkrun, of whom 10 were first timers and 12 recorded new #Virtual Personal Bests
The female record is held by Natasha Martin who recorded a time of 19.32 on 30th May 2020 (#Virtual event number 1)
The male record is held by David Hudson who recorded a time of 15.28 on 13th June 2020 (#Virtual event number #3)
Kettering #Virtual #notaparkrun started on Saturday 30th May 2020. 221 participants have completed total 832 #virtual #notaparkruns covering a total distance of 4160 km, including 230 new #Virtual Personal Bests.