Oops. In the rush to set you all off on Saturday and in the absence of spectacles, Tess & Simon missed out some important notices.
- Please all remember to join the New Years Day parkrun - which starts at a luxuriously indulgent 10 o'clock. Runners, volunteers and left-over cake welcome.
- Sweatshop monthly prize winner: October 2013. We're delighted to announce that Laura COOKNELL was the latest recipient of our monthly prize, generously supported by Sweatshop. Laura's prize is a free pair of running shoes. Laura's been a regular Leamington parkrunner since the summer, and has improved her time by over 10 minutes in that time, chipping away at her PB week after week. At this rate, she will be the world 5k record holder by the end of next year! We hope her new shoes will help keep the progress going, or at least make the training sessions a little easier.
- Fourteen year old Libby Gaskin was one of 26 people who ran for the first time at Leamington parkrun on Saturday. We would like to congratulate her on using it to raise money for charity. We hope you come back and run with us again next week, Libby, come and say hello to the Run Director before you start. We're proud of you.
- You will see some new Run Directors take up the megaphone and climb on the rickety chair soon. Please give them your support, it's quite nerve racking the first couple of times. If you would like to try your hand at leading some sessions please come and talk to us. New blood and new ideas are always welcome.
- Jason Jackson is stepping down as a Run Director. Jason was the driving force behind getting Leamington up and parkrunning two and half years ago. Without his drive and enthusiasm it wouldn't be the success it is today. We'd like to thank him for all his hard work and hope he keeps running long into the future.
And, now for the run report: This week there were 247 runners, of whom 51 recorded new Personal Bests. Representatives of 24 different athletics clubs took part. After a few weeks of having their asses whumped by the women and juniors, the men were allowed to occupy the first few finisher places this week:
Richard SIMKISS of Kenilworth Runners, was first over the line in 16:16, then Harvey Ben SPEED of Coventry Godiva Harriers, and Peter HAWKINS was third. Monica WILLIAMSON was the leading woman in 19:36 ,followed by Jennie SPILLANE of Spa Striders and Libby BREWIN Warwick Medical School Running Club.
More congrats to Frazer KNOWLES who completed his 50th parkrun and Rosemary PAULING who completed her 10th.
Last week we noted on our facebook page the advice for volunteers to keep the laser scanners warm by keeping them in pockets until required. This week's technology panic therefore was nothing to do with faulty scanners: this week one of our lovely volunteers went home with said scanner in his pocket.
And finally - just after the 5-4-3-2-1 GO, we realised that the starting line had been set-up 10 paces too far back. So we quickly moved it and the funnel 20 paces forward. So the 51 PBs are still safe from IAAF scrutiny.