The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is in Llyn Llech Owain, Gorslas. The course is run on a mixture of gravel paths, trail paths and tarmac paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Llyn Llech Owain parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Llyn Llech Owain parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
The course follows the Llyn Llech Owain Red Route going anti-clock wise around the lake (the lake always on your left hand side). Consisting mainly of a gravel trail until you reach the visitors centre where there is a small section of tarmac before you head back into the woods and over the wooden bridge and past the café and through alongside the carpark before starting the second lap. The finish is just after the wooden bridge and next to the café and toilets.
- Parking: A car park is available in the park. Parking may be limited, so please try to arrive in plenty of time, and please park considerately. Please note parking charges apply.
- Visitor Centre: The park has a visitor centre.
- Toilets: The café has toilets. If using these toilets, please treat them with respect.
Location of start
The parkrun start location will be signposted from the car park. It starts on the Llyn Llech Owain red route near to the children’s play park.
Getting there by public transportBus:
There are regular bus services to Gorslas from Carmarthen.
Getting there on foot
The park is at the top of Gorslas hill (past the industrial estate). It is well signposted.
Getting there by road
At the Cross Hands round-a-bout take the A476 towards Llandeilo. At Gorslas junction (five roads), take Church Road. The park is three quarters of a mile up the hill. Llyn Llech Owain is signposted on the A476.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in Caffi ar y Llyn (café) - please come and join us!