The course is 5000m (5k) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is at West Park Leisure Centre, Long Eaton. The course is run entirely on tarmac paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
Long Eaton parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the event as safe as possible, so participants, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces – whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us.
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with one dog by your side, within reach at all times, on a short, handheld, non-extendable lead. Please also see this Support Site entry for further details about parkrunning with dogs.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take care of others around you and do your best to start at an appropriate place in the field for your pace.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Long Eaton parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionA flat, well signed two clockwise lap course within the grounds of West Park. Starting near to the rugby club and cricket pavilion.
From the start participants head along a straight path towards the leisure centre for 250m, turning right and then left before following the combined cycle and pedestrian path (clearly separated by a large white line and signage) around the perimeter of the park. On approach to the tennis centre the path curves right before a turn left and cross over a wide bridge turn immediately left then right to follow the path around the perimeter with the tennis centre on the right following the perimeter of the park. On approach to the children’s play area, turn right then left to follow the path between the tennis centre and play area. On reaching the bridge, turn left crossing over it then turn left again and follow the path back to the start for the second lap. On approach to the start area towards the end of the second lap parkrunners will be directed right to the finish line.
Parking: We have an events field gravelled for parkrun use open 8:15am to 10:30am (gates locked there after). This is our preferred parking. This is located if approaching from Derby Rd/A52 continue over roundabout past leisure centre and is on the left opposite the shopping area (Tesco and Georges fish and chip shop).
There is also parking located at West Park Leisure Centre - this is shared with leisure centre users, please park in allocated spaces so as to not cause any obstructions and leaving the recycling area clear.
There is also ample on-street unrestricted parking on the roads surrounding the park, suggested on Thoresby Road with access across the field and Kings Street with access via tennis centre entrance. If parking in residential areas please show due consideration when arriving, parking and leaving, ensure that access is still possible for residents and emergency services. It is imperative that we respect the local community and not block or cause parking issues - so where possible please car share, cycle, walk or jog to us to minimise the impact.
In West Park Leisure Centre there are toilets, changing & showers and locker facilities. Lockers are £1, refundable on return. There is a cafe with soft play and a new Sky Trail climbing activity. There are also secure bike parking facilities. The leisure centre also houses other sporting facilities including gym, exercise classes and swimming.
The Green Flag awarded park has a children’s play area, skate park and a range of sporting activities available such as cricket, tennis, bowls & rugby. The Rugby House Cafe has toilets, refreshments and drinks. We meet here post run for breakfast deal (£2.50 for cuppa and breakfast cob), token sorting and results processing so welcome to join us. Dogs are allowed in the Rugby House also with well behaved owners. Additional toilets and baby changing are located in the centre of the park next to the children’s play area. During summer months there is an additional cafe at the children's play area.
Location of startThe run starts in West Park.
Getting there by public transport
Train: Long Eaton Railway Station is located between Derby and Nottingham and is approximately 15 minutes on the train from either City. When exiting the station turn left onto Wilsthorpe Road. It is a 1.2km walk straight down Wilsthorpe Road. The leisure Centre is on the right hand side and is clearly signposted.
Bus: From Long Eaton Green in the centre of Long Eaton you can catch the ‘Zoom’ bus (which departs Derby Bus Station every 30 minutes). It is a 17 minute journey to reach the nearest stop to West Park. Get off the bus on Wilsthorpe Road next to the chip shop. It is then a 4 minute walk to the centre towards the mini roundabout, and West Park is on the right.
Getting there on footThere are multiple ways to access West Park.
- Through the Leisure Centre car park on Wilsthorpe Road.
- Over the bridge near the Library on the corner of Broad Street and Milner Road nearer to the centre of Long Eaton.
- From Parkside Avenue which is just off Derby Road there is a footpath into the park.
- From Thoresby Road there is a little foot bridge leading into the park. Accessing the park from this direction will require a walk over the field.
Getting there by roadIf using SATNAV the postcode for West Park Leisure Centre is NG10 4AA
From the M1: Exit at junction 25 of the M1 come down Bostocks Lane towards Long Eaton past the Novotel. At the small roundabout at the bottom turn right onto Longmoor Road. Follow the road around the bend onto Petersham Road. Carry on going straight and at the next roundabout go straight over onto Wilsthorpe Road. Proceed straight along to the next mini roundabout and turn left into West Park Leisure Centre car park.