The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at South Park, Macclesfield. The course is run on a mixture of tarmac paths and grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Macclesfield parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Macclesfield parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
The start and finish are next to the bandstand. The route consists of one lap in this area followed by two laps in the main body of the park via a narrow bridge over a stream. Take time to look at the views of the local hills before returning across the bridge and completing one more loop in the bandstand area.
Toilets will be open in the Pavilion close to the start. There is a child’s play area next to the bowling green and tennis courts.
Location of startThe event starts next to the bandstand.
Getting there by public transportBuses 2, 3, 5, 6, 19 and 38 all serve Park Lane. Alight opposite the Park Tavern and follow the brown signs to South Park.
Macclesfield Train Station is a 15 minute walk away. Turn left out of the station. Follow the road straight through two sets of traffic lights. Continue straight on up to Park Lane and past the Park Tavern. The park is on your left hand side after a further few minutes’ walk.
Getting there on footFrom Park Lane, walk down Park Grove (signposted to South Park), and head past the Pavilion to the start near the bandstand.
Getting there by roadSAT NAV Postcode: SK11 8JR (Macclesfield Academy)
From the west: Follow the A537 to the junction with the B5088, signposted to Congleton. Turn right. Travel 0.6 miles; turn left into Park Lane.
From the north and east: Head towards Macclesfield Station (SK11 6JP) and proceed along Sunderland Street for 0.2 miles. Straight on across the traffic lights, following the A536 for 0.7 miles.
From the south: Follow the A523 to Macclesfield. At the junction with the A536 turn left towards Congleton, and left again at the traffic lights, following the A536 for a further 0.7 miles.
Parking is located at Macclesfield Academy (SK11 8JR on sat nav), in the east playground. Turn at the traffic lights on Park Lane signposted to Macclesfield Learning Zone, then immediate left in front of Macclesfield College. The car park is in front of Macclesfield Academy and is a short walk away from the start of the run. Access to the park is via Ryle’s Park Road or by walking down Park Lane. Once parked, use the back exit from Macclesfield Academy, turning left onto Ryle’s Park Road. Turn the next right into Park Vale Road to the entrance to the park. The walk to the start of the run is approximately 5 minutes.
There is a very small car park within the park grounds but we politely request that parkrunners do not to park here or on the surrounding roads
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in the Park Tavern - please come and join us!