All 5k events in this country are currently suspended due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). For further details please see here.
The course is 5000m (5K) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is at Manor Field (Manor Leisure Centre), Whittlesey. The course is run entirely on grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Manor Field parkrun, Whittlesey is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Manor Field parkrun, Whittlesey is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionThe course is flat and involves one small lap (500m) of a playing field area, followed by 3 complete loops around the perimeter of the Manor Park (each loop is 1500m). The perimeter includes a section alongside the original course of the River Nene, passing Ashline Lock and a mooring area for barges and river craft. The course is entirely on grass which can get wet and muddy after heavy rain. On some occasions, the grass can be quite long.
Toilets are available in the pavilion from 8.30am to 10.30am. This is
80m from the start next to the finish area. Public toilets are available
in the town centre, 400m from the start, behind the George (Wetherspoons)
pub at post code PE7 1AB.
In the park there is an outdoor children’s play area, an outdoor skate park and an indoor heated swimming pool. There is also a mooring area for river boats near Ashline Lock on the course.
Location of startThe event starts at Manor Field.
Getting there by public transportPlease consider using public transport, Whittlesea station is close to the start and the journey is just 7 minutes from Peterborough station.
Trains run to Whittlesea station from Peterborough (from the west direction), and from March/Ely/Cambridge from the east direction. From Whittlesea station walk along Station Road for 400m towards the town centre and turn left at the Manor Leisure Centre
Buses 31 and 33 run from Peterborough. From the bus station head for the market square(100m), then walk 400m down Station Road to the leisure centre.
The bus station and train station are both 5 minutes walk from the Manor Park.
Getting there on footThe Manor Park is a 400m walk from the town centre, if walking from the town centre, head along Station Road for 400m and turn right at sign for leisure centre.
Getting there by roadFor Sat Nav use PE7 1UA.
From all directions, head for the town centre, with the market square and historic Buttercross. From the market square, follow the signs for the railway station and head down Station Road for 400 metres.
Parking is available at the Manor Leisure Centre, but this is limited so park runners and volunteers are encouraged to car share, walk, jog or cycle to the start. There are several free car parks in the centre of Whittlesey which are 5 minutes walk from the start.