The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at Palm Bay, Margate. The course is run on a mixture of tarmac paths and grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Margate parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Margate parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
View Margate parkrun in a larger map
Runners start at the shelter and while keeping left at all junctions, run to the west for 500m in a loop round the bandstand and head back towards the shelter. Continue past shelter to the east for 2km, past the Southern Water Pumping Station and round the bend and onto grass. Cross the grass towards the hedge (50m) and turn right onto another grass pathway and then turn right at (disused) golf boundary fence. Finally turn left onto main pathway and return to brown shelter and the finish line.
PLEASE REMEMBER to keep left at all junctions.
Location of start
The run starts at the Brown Shelter, 5th Avenue, Cliftonville. Next to the Indoor Bowls Club on the cliff top.
Getting there by public transport
From Margate train station take the No 8 bus, and from Broadstairs station take the Loop bus and alight at Tesco in Northdown Road. Head towards the sea front. It's about a 5 minute walk.
Getting there on footFrom Margate:
Keep the sea on your left and follow the coast road.From Broadstairs:
Keep the sea on your right and follow the coast road.
Both have good cycle paths to the event start.
Getting there by roadFrom Margate:
Keep the sea on your left, go up Fort Hill (B2051) past the Turner Centre to Cliftonville. Continue on this road for 1 mile until you come to 5th Avenue and the Walpole Bay Hotel. The start is at the bottom of this road. There will be limited parking but there is plenty of free parking on the B2051, to the East of the start.From Broadstairs:
Follow signs for Margate, the A255. Then follow as above.
Please do NOT park on any of the grass areas near the start/finish and always park with consideration to our neighbours.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in the Palm Bay café - please come and join us!