The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is in Welland Park, Market Harborough. The course is run on a mixture of tarmac paths and grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Market Harborough parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Market Harborough parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
Market Harborough parkrun starts on the drive next to the Welland Park Road car park (where there is a wooden carved map of the course). The course consists of an 'out' section up to the stones outside the kid's playground followed by a clockwise loop of the park that is repeated three times and a final straight section to the finish by the hut
opposite the playground. Continue on the path to the rose garden to be scanned.
The course is all on tarmac or paths and is wheelchair friendly.
We also have a large team of trained Visually Impaired Guides, so please contact us in advance if you are a VI participant and wish to join us.
There are toilets located in Welland Park close to the start, in the
Commons car park and in the town centre. Shower facilities are available
at Market Harborough Leisure Centre (LE16 9HF) - approx 1 mile - charges
There are two small car parks, located on the park grounds. One is
accessed via Welland Park Road (LE16 9DW) and the other via Farndon Road
(LE16 9NW). Both are free but have very limited spaces. The Commons car
park (LE16 9DB) is a much larger pay and display car park. It can be
accessed via the A4304. It is a short walk from here to the start.
There is a large children's playground located adjacent to the finish.
Runners will pass this area several times so is ideally located for
There is an enclosed dog walking area.
Location of startThe event starts on the drive next to the Welland Park
Road car park. Please arrive at the bowls pavilion at 8:45 for the First Timers Briefing, and then 8:55 at the start for the Run Director's briefing.
Getting there by public transportThe nearest rail station is Market Harborough, served by East Midlands
Trains services from Derby, Nottingham, Leicester, Kettering and London
St Pancras. National Rail enquiries will provide details of services.
Market Harborough is served by a number of bus services including X3 from Leicester via Great Glen and Kibworth, 44 from Fleckney and Foxton, 58 from Lutterworth and Hinckley, 67 from Corby and Gretton, X7 from Northampton and the Centrebus County Connect service from surrounding areas.
Getting there on footThe park can be accessed on foot from the town centre from the Commons car park, via Coventry Road or Welland Park Road.
From the train station it is less than 1 mile. Leave the station and bear right and slightly downhill to follow the vehicle access road. Continue west along Rockingham Road. Turn left onto Kettering Road. Turn left then immediately right onto Welland Park Road. The park is on the right hand side just after the Welland Park Academy.
From the main bus station, immediately cross Northampton Road at the
pedestrian crossing and continue straight ahead along a path that leads
into Welland Park. National Cycle Route 6 runs through Welland Park and
past the finish area.
Getting there by roadFrom the M1, leave at J20 Lutterworth and follow signs for Market Harborough along the A4304. Welland Park is on the right hand side shortly before the town centre.
From the A14, leave at J2 Kelmarsh and follow signs for Market
Harborough along the A508, and turn left on Welland Park Road shortly
before the town centre.
Market Harborough is well signposted from the A6 in both directions. Postcode for satnav is LE16 9DW.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in The Café at Welland Park - please come and join us!