The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at Market Rasen Racecourse, Market Rasen. The course is run entirely on tarmac paths with a short section of grass at the finish. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Market Rasen Racecourse parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Market Rasen Racecourse parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
The course is contained within the parkland on the inside of Market Rasen Racecourse. The course largely follows the slightly undulating tarmac service track around the inside rail of the racecourse. The start is on the tarmac track approximately 200 metres from the main grandstand area. The course is run clockwise and consists of a shorter first lap of approximately 1km, followed by two longer laps of approximately 2km each. All laps follow the tarmac service track around the racecourse, the finish is to the left of the service track where a funnel will take runners onto the grass.
Toilets are located at the ‘AP Bar’ in the grandstand area of the racecourse. A children’s play area is located behind the grandstands close to the caravan park.
Location of start
The event starts on the tarmac track on the eastern side of the course, approximately 200 metres from the main grandstand area.
Getting there by public transport
Bus: #53 service between Lincoln and Grimsby stops in the centre of Market Rasen. From here it is approximately a 1 mile walk via Willingham Road and Legsby Road.
Train: There are regular trains to Market Rasen station from Grimsby/Cleethorpes and Newark/Lincoln. From the station it is approximately a 1 mile walk, via Oxford Street, Willingham Road and Legsby Road.
Getting there on foot
From the market place in Market Rasen, approximately a 1 mile walk via Willingham Road and Legsby Road.
Getting there by road
Access is from Legsby Road entrance, postcode LN8 3EA.
From the M1, A1 and A46, the racecourse is well signposted and is on the east side of Market Rasen.
From the A1 please take the exit sign posted to Newark, Lincoln A46. Then follow the A46 all the way to Market Rasen.
From the M18 (north of Market Rasen) please exit onto the M180 sign posted to Grimsby, Scunthorpe and Humberside Airport. Then take the exit onto the A15 sign posted to Lincoln. Then take an exit onto the A631 sign posted to Market Rasen.
Once in the centre of Market Rasen, follow the main road to the traffic lights (junction of Jameson Bridge St & Oxford Street), continue straight on until the next major junction (signposted Legsby), and continue for approximately half a mile. The racecourse will be on your left, and the car park on the right, just before the main entrance.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in Jossal’s Bistro & Coffee Shop, 7 Queen St, Market Rasen, LN8 3EH - please come and join us!