The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at Marlborough Common,
Marlborough. The course is run on a mixture of trail paths and grass. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Marlborough Common parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Marlborough Common parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
The course starts close to the south corner of the Common, heading
north-west on a short section of track. It consists of two clockwise
laps of the Common, followed by a short leg to the finish. It is almost
entirely on grass, with an uneven surface in places; there are some
inclines and the total ascent is about 50m.
There are no toilets available at the Common - the nearest toilets are in the town centre - in the car park behind Waitrose.
Location of startThe event starts close to the south corner of the Common.
Getting there by public transportBus: Buses stop on the Common. Route 80 and Route X5 leave from Marlborough High Street at just before 8.30.
Train: There is no train station in Marlborough. The nearest stations are Swindon, Pewsey and Bedwyn.
Getting there on footFrom the town centre: Cross to the north side of the High Street and head east towards the Town Hall. Veer left up Kingsbury Street - the Common is at the top of the hill and you should see the parkrun flag and start just across the road from you.
Getting there by roadIf using SATNAV, the nearest postcode is SN8 1DL.
From the M4: Exit at J15, follow the A346 south. As you come into Marlborough, the Golf Club will be on the right. Take the first right after that onto the Common and the first right again onto Frees Avenue. Access to the event’s parking area will be 250 metres on the right.
From Newbury/Hungerford: Follow the A4 into Marlborough. Follow signs for the A346 towards Swindon. At the top of the hill, turn left onto the Common and take the first right onto Frees Avenue. Access to the event’s parking area will be 250 metres on the right.
From Calne/Devizes: Follow the A4 into Marlborough. Turn left onto the High Street. Turn left up Kingsbury Street. At the top, continue onto Frees Avenue and access to the event’s parking area will be 250 metres on the right.
There is a parking area on the Common (capacity 90 cars) specifically
for the use of those attending parkrun. If full, you will be asked to
park elsewhere. On entering the Common please observe the speed limit of
10 mph, drive right to the end of the track, and exit the same way.
Please do not drive across the grass. All cars should be parked by 8.55
am, and should depart by 11 am so the barrier can be locked. PLEASE DO
NOT PARK AT THE GOLF CLUB OR THE RUGBY CLUB, NOR USE THE SPACES
ALLOCATED FOR VISITORS TO THE CEMETERY.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in the Marlborough Golf Club bar - please come and join us!