The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is on Greenham Common and run on 95% hardpack trail, 5% tarmac. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Newbury parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Newbury parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
The Newbury parkrun is a single lap course fully marked all the way round. The start is located at the centre of Greenham common on the old runway tarmac, approximately 600m South West of the control tower. Runners will head North for 300m, before turning right onto the hardpack gravelled path until the 1km mark, when they will take a left turn off the main path and through the trees. As you come out of the trees you follow the path to the left, around the pond areas to the half way point just before passing the Athletics Track. Once past the track you will take a right continuing on the main path away from an entrance to the common, please stay on the main path and do not cut this corner. You continue on this path, staying left at the next junction, then continuing to follow the path over a slight rise, passing 4km at the bottom of the second rise. With 30 metres to go you will take a right turn back onto the runway and through the finish funnel.
Toilets are available for parkrunners from 8am at New Horizon House if parking in Greenham Business Park, currently the control tower facilities are not open, so we recommend using the facilities at the Retail Park approximately 2 miles from the control tower car park, along Burys Bank Road towards Speen.
PLEASE NOTE THAT RUNNERS MUST NOT RELIEVE THEMSELVES ON GREENHAM COMMON: THIS WILL LEAD TO NEWBURY PARKRUN'S USE OF THE COMMON BEING JEOPARDISED.
Location of startThe start is located at the centre of Greenham Common, approximately 600m South West of the Control Tower Car Park at RG19 8DB. It is a 1 km walk from the Greenham Business Park, turning right as you enter the common, and right onto the main path, turning left onto the runway section 600 metres along that path.
PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU SHUT ANY GATES WHEN YOU ENTER AND LEAVE AS GREENHAM COMMON IS HOME TO GRAZING CATTLE.
Getting there by public transportThe nearest rail stations are Newbury Racecourse and Thatcham. There is a 103 bus service from Newbury town centre to the East Entrance of Greenham Common (approximately 2km walk to the start).
Getting there on footYou can access the common by foot or by bicycle from any of the Common's entrances.
Getting there by roadThe closest car park is at the Control Tower on Burys Bank Road, RG19 8DB. If travelling from the south, an additional car park is available via the Greenham Business Park from the A339. There is a large car park located at the Venture West Building (RG19 6HN).
Please ensure you do not park directly in front of any office buildings and only park in the large car park area.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee at The Pineapple Café, RG19 3TL - please come and join us.