The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is at Dolerw Park Bridge, Newtown. The course is run entirely on a mixture of different surfaces. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Newtown parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Please note dogs are not allowed at this event.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Newtown parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
One lap out and back on river path followed by two laps on scenic route around the perimeter of the park, alongside the river. Parklands potentially muddy and slippery when wet. The start and finish are very close together and close to the main car park.
Toilets available at the Pay & Display Car Park. Children’s play area / picnic benches. Many other facilities available nearby in town centre.
Location of startThe start and finish are very close together and close to the main car park.
Getting there by public transportBus station behind the café next to the pay and display car park.
Arriving by train go straight ahead following town centre signs cross at traffic lights continue straight ahead until you arrive at the bus station, pay and display car park. Parkrun start top of the car park by Dolerw Bridge.
Getting there on footFrom bus station walk up through the car park past the café to Dolerw Bridge and start of parkrun.
Getting there by roadIf using SATNAV the nearest postcode is SY16 2NZ. Entering Newtown from the west A483 turn left at the second set of traffic lights. Entering Newtown from the east A483 turn right at 3rd set of traffic lights. After 300 yards turn left into main car park, Dolerw Bridge at far end of car park.
Please note this is a pay and display car park.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in the Oriel Gallery - please come and join us!