Celebrating the real heroes of parkrun... the volunteers!
Every parkrun only happens because of the time and dedication of our volunteers. Many thanks to all of them, past and present. We are always looking for new volunteers. This page explains how to get involved.
How to get involved
Finding out about Peacehaven parkrun volunteering opportunities couldn't be easier. Simply open a recent parkrun newsletter, results email or volunteer email, click on 'manage my profile', then 'email options', then select the events you'd like to hear from and click 'save opt-in events list'. You will then receive regular emails from those events letting you know all about their volunteering opportunities.
You can see an event's future volunteer roster via their specific future roster page
. To get in touch with the event directly, just send an email to email@example.com
What would I do at the Event?
First, and most importantly, we never ask anybody to do anything they're not comfortable with. If you don't want a particular task, please let us know and we will happily give you an alternative job. Nevertheless, none of our tasks are too stressful. You could be organising the finish funnel, operating the timer, or scanning the runners' barcodes with our simple barcode readers; we try to start people out on a general marshalling type job, so they get a feel for how we operate. But if you really want to do something in particular, please let us know and we'll see what we can do.
Remember as a volunteer you are the eyes and ears of parkrun. If you have any concerns that arise at a parkrun event, whether involving children or adults, you should discuss those concerns with the Run Director on the day, as soon as possible thereafter or email Head Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Do I get my name in lights?
We like to recognise and publicly thank all our volunteers, and your name will appear on our home page in the This Week's Heroes section. We also keep a log of what tasks everybody has done. To do this you need to be registered on our system. If you have not registered, it's really easy to do so: just go to the parkrun registration page
and fill in the simple form.
Many thanks to this week's heroes
Alison EVANS • Bronwyn TULLY • Cerina PARRIS • Clive WILLIAMS • Frankie SHEAR • Helen TODD • Jeanette WELLS • Joan CROMBIE • Leigh PULLAN • Martin CROMBIE • Max WHITMORE • Melanie TURNER • Neil SMITH • Ollie SPRAGUE • Orin MOCKFORD • Rolando HUTCHINSON • Rowan TULLY • Simon HEATH • Stephen STANDEN • Steve SPRAGUE • Terry PARRIS • Tim BRETT
The core team
Peacehaven parkrun happens largely because of our fantastic volunteers, who are almost all regular runners like you. The weekly team of volunteers are led by a small group of parkrun enthusiasts who form what we call the 'core team': They make sure the event is setup and packed away each week, the results published, the tokens resorted, event reports written and so much more.
- Event Directors - Martin Crombie & Terry Parris
- Cerina Parris - a keen fitness enthusiast. Always willing to challenge herself to whatever role is required. One of the first to come forward as an additional Run Director and is also one of the growing number of guide runners that we have at Peacehaven. Always encoraging others and also having the most amazing smile to brighten up even the gloomiest of days.
- Francesca Parris - as a great organiser, she keeps us all in order and makes sure all our equipment is well looked after and our jackets and bibs are smelling fresh. She really enjoys her running and of all the roles that she does the one that gives her the most pleasure is when she runs as a VI Guide for those needing her. You know when she is passing as you hear the chat and laughter. Now also enjoying having the chance to be a Run Director and the chance to meet our lovely parkrunners.
- Lisa Dickson - was a keen supporter of parkrun coming to Peacehaven. As a local Personal Trainer, she constantly promotes healthy living to her clients and regularly brings them along on a Saturday. Although a keen runner herself, she is always happy to take on any volunteering role. Can regularly be seen as Volunteer Coordinator, making sure that everyone knows what they are doing. After some gentle persuasion has also now become one of our regular Run Directors.
- Martin Crombie - one of the original Event Directors. Has always been involved within the community in a sporting capacity, he spent many years coaching in youth football. He has done lots of fundraising events for charitable causes, including marathons. His passion for bringing the event to Peacehaven and his meticulous attention to detail are defined in our unique funnel. A shy character, who is definitely happier out of the limelight, explaining why Results Processing is his favourite role.
- Melanie Turner - one of the most recent additions to the team. A keen runner who takes on some incredible challenges. Has relished stepping out of the shadows and taking on more prominent roles. A fun and very popular team member. Always willing to sacrifice her run, for the benefit of others, a real star. Another of Mel's incredible talents, are the cakes that she brings to the core team meetings....
- Steve Dickson - the “wee fella” is always the first one at the park and the last one to finish. He is always happy to set up the finish funnel and once completed can often be found walking at the rear of the field as one of our Tail Walkers. Since the introduction of walkie-talkies at Peacehaven you can regularly hear, (even if you can't understand!) the broad Glaswegian tones filling the airwaves …. more often than not with his order for coffee!
- Terry Parris - originally involved with the design of The Big Park and was instrumental in ensuring that there were facilities for running. Has actively been involved within the Core Team and become an Event Director, in 2018. A character well known within the local community, primarly through football and is also now President of Lewes
Football Club, having been Chairman for a number of years. When Terry is Run Director it is always guaranteed to be the longest Pre Run Briefing, as you just can't get the megaphone off him!
- Zingy Thetho - one of our original Run Directors. A very charismatic, “bubbly” character who loves to photo-bomb any picture. She keeps us all in awe at her daily workout videos on social media. As well regularly donning the Blue & White jacket, she can be found Timekeeping, as well as entertaining all around. Can regularly be seen running around the community, if you are up at 5am! In preparation for an upcoming marathon or event. When she does get to run parkrun, is always happy pacing others.
A special word of thanks must also go to Alison Evans, Carol Moore, Clive Williams, Helen Todd and Steve Standen who are there nearly every week offering their support as volunteers. Always encouraging others and some can often be found around the course in their "usual positions". Such an amazing group of people who we are truly blessed to have here at Peacehaven.
We're very grateful to the help provided by everybody, both now and in the past, who've helped make Peacehaven parkrun happen.
Please opt-in to the volunteer email if you'd like to join us and get involved!