All parkrun events in this country are currently suspended due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). For further details please see here
The course is 5000m (5K) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is in Pegwell Bay Country Park, Kent . The course is run on a mixture of gravel paths and off road. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Pegwell Bay parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Pegwell Bay parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionThe Course consists of a two laps of the Pegwell Bay Country Park consisting of gravel trail for the entire route.
Along the route runners will benefit from the most amazing coastal views across Pegwell bay towards Ramsgate, in addition to views along the nature reserve and intertidal mud flats that year on year attracts many wildlife enthusiasts due to its national and international waders and wildfowl
- There are mobile catering facilities on site at the Start/Finish area serving a variety of hot and cold beverages and snacks, with an outdoor seating area.
- Pegwell Bay parkrunners please note that from Saturday 18th May in addition to the paid parking available at the Pegwell Bay Country Park there will be further free parking available at the Viking Cafe which is located 1/4 of a mile away from the start on the Sandwich Road towards Ramsgate. The gates to the viking cafe will be open from 8.30am.
In addition to the free parking there is a cafe selling hot and cold food and drinks and toilet facilities available both before and after your parkrun. Please allow a 5-10 min walk/jog to get to the parkrun starting area.
Location of startFrom the main entrance on Sandwich Road the start will be located in the car park directly across the main cycle/footpath at the Southern end of the main car park (this will be sign posted).
Getting there by public transport
Bus: bus route operated by Stagecoach East Kent, number 87 or 88 Ramsgate to Sandwich Route, alight outside the Sportsman Public House at Cliffs and the Park is located on the opposite side of the road, approximately a 5 minute walk towards Sandwich. For up to date timetable please see their website.Train: Ramsgate Station and Sandwich Station are the two closest mainline Stations, please see bus timetables as above for connecting journeys to the Park.