We begin the run report with a cautionary tale. Whilst our parkrunners’ would generally agree that Prudhoe Riverside is a friendly, (sometimes) sunny, and generally nice place to be at 9am on a Saturday, recently things have gotten a little ‘dangerous’ round the back of the Spetchells, with a small number of parkrunners taking a tumble in recent weeks. Thankfully no serious injuries, but some impressive scrapes and scratches have been noted. Our Fantasy and Folklore specialist (that’s RD Hezzy to you) is investigating the possibility of enchanted trees tackling folk and tripping them up as they run past; the rest of us are of the opinion that it’s the impact of a hundred and a half of you pounding the hard ground and exposing more tree roots every week. Either way, please do take extra care and keep looking ahead for any raised roots (or, if Hezzy is right, trees with eyes and branches which seem to move when there’s no wind) and get round safely. We know you all put blood, sweat and tears into getting a new PB, but we’d be happy if there was a bit less blood.
We also hit a milestone of our own on Saturday. Since our parkrun began 400 different people – young and not-so-young, runners and non-runners have rocked the hi-vis at Prudhoe Riverside.
THANK YOU TO EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU, YOU’RE ALL AWESOME (and yes, I am shouting it)!!
Now, if I tell you that figure is less than 10% of the number of different people who’ve run our parkrun, it shows how much we rely on a relatively small number to ensure that we can go ahead every Saturday. If you are one of the other c90% who’ve never volunteered, please think about giving it a go. There are no difficult roles and full training is given. We don’t ever want to have to cancel our parkrun through lack of support.
If you can help out next week, or any Saturday, please contact us at: email@example.com with your barcode number and the role you’d like to do.
This week’s heroes were:
Graeme ADDISON • Joanne LUCKING • Richard WEYMES • Mel REED • Jane MORTON • Michael BOADEN • Jack BOADEN • Ben MITCHELL • Beth FRASER • Melanie ELLIOTT • Helen BOADEN • Angela NEWSOME • Lisa NAPIER • Haydn WEYMES • Janine CALKIN • Angela ELLINS • Janice PAXTON • Kirk PALMER • Gillian TAIT • Greg SMITH • Paul TAIT • Alejandra VICENCIO • Sharon CARR
This week 166 of you ran, jogged and walked the course. 24 of you were first timers, with three of you completing your first ever parkrun. 33 of you recorded new Personal Bests. Well done everyone. Representatives of 22 different clubs took part, including visitors from Chorlton Runners and Saltaire Striders – hope you enjoyed your trip to the riverside.
Finally, to parkrun milestones. Congratulations to John and Elizabeth Souter, who both completed their 50th parkruns this week. Even though it was a special occasion, John wasn’t hanging about to savour the atmosphere and romped home with a new PB! Nice one, John.
That’s all folks. See you next Saturday and #dfyb!
Today's full results and a complete event history can be found on the Prudhoe Riverside parkrun Results Page.
The female record is held by Unknown (F) who recorded a time of 17:15 on 4th November 2017 (event number 52).
The male record is held by Kurt HERON who recorded a time of 15:58 on 30th June 2018 (event number 83).
The Age Grade course record is held by Mark MCNALLY who recorded 87.64% (20:22) on 19th May 2018 (event number 77).
Prudhoe Riverside parkrun started on 12th November 2016. Since then 4,552 participants have completed 21,719 parkruns covering a total distance of 108,595 km, including 4,685 new Personal Bests. A total of 400 individuals have volunteered 2,581 times.