All parkrun events in this country are currently suspended due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). For further details please see here
The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is in The Rising Sun Country Park, Benton, Newcastle Upon Tyne. The course is run entirely on trail paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Rising Sun parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Rising Sun parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
The course starts in the carpark to the Rising Sun Country Park, and follows the road for 50 metres before going through a gate, and onto the trail paths next to the entrance of the park complex. You follow the trails for a further mile through woodland and beautiful countryside, whilst being guided by marshals. You then turn off the main trail, and do a clockwise circuit before returning to the main trail, and retracing your steps back to the Rising Sun Park complex, and the finish.
Runners can park for free in the overflow part of the ASDA Supermarket car park or use the Metro service and enjoy the short walk down the lane. There are allocated disabled parking spaces beside the Countryside Centre as well as toilet facilities inside the centre. A play area is available for children to enjoy and a wildlife garden.
Location of startThe event starts in the carpark to the Rising Sun Country Park.
Getting there by public transportThere are regular bus links to the ASDA supermarket (Benton). See the Arriva bus website for more details.
335 - Benton Four lane ends / Cobalt Silver Fox Way
53 - North shields Bedford Street / Cramlington Dudley Lane shops
51 - Newcastle Haymarket Bus Station
There is also frequent Metros to Palmersville station. See the Nexus website for more details.
Getting there on footComing from the Metro station turn right out of the station onto Great Lime Rd and head towards the Wheatsheaf pub on the roundabout with Great Lime Rd and Whitley Rd, follow Whitley Rd for 200 metres towards Asda Benton. Cross over Whitley Rd and follow the Rising Sun Country Park access road up to the starting line.
Getting there by roadIf using sat nav the postcode is NE12 9SS. That will bring you directly to the Rising Sun Country Park. However please park in the overflow ASDA Supermarket car park, which is a 2-minute walk to the starting line.
Please note that there is no parking for the event within the park.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in the Rising Sun Country Park café - please come and join us!