All parkrun events in this country are currently suspended due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). For further details please see here
The course is 5000m (5K) long. This has been accurately measured by us with a professional measuring wheel. The course is in Central Park, Scunthorpe. The course is run on a mixture of tarmac paths and trail paths. Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Scunthorpe parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
- You are welcome to take part with a dog, but please keep the dog on a short lead or short harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Scunthorpe parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help parkrunners compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.For more information, please see our Support page.
Course DescriptionThe course consists of two anti-clockwise laps and is virtually flat. It is all tarmac except for a short section through the woods in the middle of each lap.
From the start, follow the park's main paved path (keeping to the right hand side of the path) past the childrens play area and the football fields. As the path nears Kingsway, runners will turn sharp right to head towards the woods. Follow this path into a small stretch of woodland which will lead them to the path at the side of Kingsway. Follow this path before turning back onto the main path through the park (again keep to the right of the path). Turn right off this path at the cafe in the centre of the park and head towards Kingsway again. Follow the path besides Kingsway briefly before heading back onto the park's paths to loop around to complete the first lap.
Turn left onto the main park path to start the second lap which follows the same route as the first lap.
At the end of the second lap turn right for a short run to the finish line.
- Parking: Parking is available at either the main Park car park located off Kingsway or the car park behind the back of Civic Centre (Located directly next to the start, off Ashby Road). Both sites are free of charge.
Location of startThe start location of the run is at the entrance into Central Park via Centenary Way, off Ashby Road. It is located directly behind The Civic Centre car park across from The Pods Leisure Centre.
Getting there by public transport
Bus: There is a bus stop located on Ashby Road, directly in front of The Pods Leisure Centre. Scunthorpe Central Bus Station is located off Fenton Street and is approximately a 10-minute walk away. Up to date bus timetables can be found on http://www.northlincs.gov.uk/transport-and-streets/public-transport/busroutes/
Train: The train station is located on Station Road and is approximately a 5-minute walk away from the start location.