The course is 5000m (5K) long. The course is in Shorne Woods Country Park, Gravesend. The course is run on a mixture of tarmac paths and woodland trail paths . Some sections of the course may accumulate mud, leaves and puddles after rain. Dependent on availability, marshals will be at key sections of the course, or signs will be in place.
Please remember that the parkrun uses shared paths. For the continued success of the event, please give way to other park users. This won't hurt your time, it won't stop you from getting a PB and it will make sure everyone continues to enjoy the event.
Please, wherever possible walk, jog, cycle or use public transport when attending the event. If you do have to drive, please consider car-sharing to reduce our impact on both the environment and other park users. Please also watch out for other park users when arriving and leaving. Parking may be limited so try to arrive early.
The Shorne Woods parkrun is a fun, free event organised by volunteers for the benefit of everyone. We wish to make the run as safe as possible, so runners, spectators and helpers are asked to take care about the following:
- Please be considerate to the park and other park users at all times.
- Children under the age of eleven must be accompanied (within arm's reach) throughout the run by a parent, guardian or appropriate adult of the parent's choice.
- Please arrive by foot, by pedal-power or by public transport if you can - your efforts help to reduce our impact on the park and the planet.
- Please consider volunteering to help occasionally - this event survives only because of your generosity - please visit the volunteer page for more information.
- Take care near roads and car parks - some vehicles drive very quickly. Please congregate away from the cars and be careful in particular if you have children. If you’re driving to the run, please drive carefully even if you’re late!
- When running, take care on uneven surfaces - whether on grass or on tarmac. Watch out for cyclists, other runners, pedestrians, children, dogs, wildlife, park animals, vehicles, park maintenance work, falling branches, bollards, posts and other obstacles around the course.
- Please ensure that you are fit enough to walk, jog, run 5k (3.1 miles) with us. Health advice about running can be found at the excellent Runners' Medical Resource website (although this external website focuses on preparation for a race and does not describe parkrun events).
- Remember to warm up before the run.
- If you see a runner with a serious problem, please stop to help them out and get help as soon as possible.
- If you’re watching, keep clear of runners on the course, and look after any children and dogs you may have with you.
- It is not permitted to run with a pushchair and a dog at the same time.
- Runners wishing to run with a dog are welcome, but please keep the dog on a short lead or harness and under control throughout the event. Please also review the parkrun support page article about running with a dog at parkrun events.
- Runners pushing buggies are also welcome, but please take extreme care of other runners around you. If possible start from the back of the field and try to keep to one side of the main body of runners.
- Lyme Disease is a bacterial infection spread to humans by infected ticks. Consider protecting yourself by wearing repellent when at parkrun events in grassy or wooded areas. See lymediseaseuk.com for further details.
We hope these tips help to ensure that Shorne Woods parkrun is fun and safe for everyone.
All parkrun events use Age Grading to help athletes compare results.
Age Grading takes your time and uses the world record time for your sex and age group to produce a score (a percentage). This score allows you to compare your personal performance against other people's performances even though they might be a different age and a different sex to you - the higher the score the better the performance. The scores can also be compared across different race distances - to allow you to, for example, compare a 5km time against a marathon.
For more information, please see our Support
The course is made up of 3 laps on established paths and trails through the woods, with plenty of arrows, cones and marshals on the route. The terrain is flat. The finish is on the open space near to the play areas, about 100 metres on from the start line.
Shorne Woods Country Park stands as the jewel in the crown of the Kent countryside, with its dramatic views across the Thames Marshes. Enjoy the 288 acres of ancient broadleaved woodland, rolling open meadows or around ponds and wetland areas teeming with dragonflies and other wildlife during the summer months.
A visitor’s centre, café, sensory garden and play areas for all ages make it a great visit for all the family. Visitors with mobility problems can hire a tramper to enable them to explore the park too!
- Park opening time: The gates to the park will be open at 8am.
- Parking: Parking is available at the park for a charge of £3.00. An annual car parking permit allowing access to all KCC's country parks including Shorne Woods is available for £40.
- Visitor Centre: The Visitor Centre is a great place to relax after the run and grab a coffee or snack.
Location of start
From the main car park head towards the Visitor Centre and follow the main path taking you away from the visitor centre & car park. Turn left at the end of the path, and you'll find the start located on the open grassy area in front of you.
Getting there by public transport
Train: The nearest train stations are Sole Street or Higham Station, both which are 3 miles away.
Getting there on foot
Approach on foot is through the village of Shorne.
Getting there by road
The park is conveniently accessed just off the A2 at Shorne/Cobham junction, south of Gravesend. There is a car parking charge of £3.00. Alternatively an annual car parking permit is available for £40. This allows all year access to all KCC’s country parks, including Shorne Woods.
Post Run Coffee
Every week we grab a post parkrun coffee in The Visitor Centre - please come and join us!